News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosure Size - Fat Pants

Started by Hack_Black, November 22, 2011, 08:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hack_Black

My first post - looks like a great place.

I ordered some boards, but at this time I'm only going to build the Fat Pants. I've built pedals, but never shopped my own parts.

What size enclosure should I get for the Fat Pants? I'd rather not have a tight fit, and I'd rather get it pre-drilled. The PDF directions don't specify which box (unless I'm missing it).

I think I can handle the rest of the parts.

Any help appreciated. Thanks 

raulduke

If its your first build I would go for a 1590B or a 125B.

Personally I think a 1590B is a pretty nice size for one/two knob pedal.

A 125B will give you a lot more room to work with though.

If you are in the US there are loads of places that do pre-drilled enclosures (General Guitar Gadgets, Pedal Parts Plus, Mammoth Electronics etc.). In the EU there are a couple (Musikding, Banzai Music).

Good luck with the build mate!

Hack_Black

Quote from: raulduke on November 22, 2011, 09:47:46 AM
If its your first build I would go for a 1590B or a 125B.

Personally I think a 1590B is a pretty nice size for one/two knob pedal.

A 125B will give you a lot more room to work with though.

If you are in the US there are loads of places that do pre-drilled enclosures (General Guitar Gadgets, Pedal Parts Plus, Mammoth Electronics etc.). In the EU there are a couple (Musikding, Banzai Music).

Good luck with the build mate!

Thanks! I ordered a 125B, but now I'm thinking I should have gotten the 1590. Oh well, all the parts are ordered. Can't wait to check this thing out.

jkokura

I much prefer 125Bs. They will be fine.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Hack_Black

I just populated my PC board. I should have asked this earlier, but how are you guys fastening/supporting the PC board in the enclosure?

I had always used the plastic standoffs, but there's no holes for them and I see you guys don't ususally use them? How do you attach the board to the enclosure?

jkokura

I generally mount the to the PCBs. Double sided sticky foam is your friend.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Hack_Black

I guess that's what I need (sticky foam).

I bought a socket for the charge pump IC, but I didn't use it. I just soldered the IC in. Any reason to socket the IC?

Thanks.

add4

reasons i'm aware of:
easier to try different IC
easier to change it if by accident you soldered the IC in the wrong place or backwards
main reason: you are certain you won't fry your IC while soldering it

Quote from: Hack_Black on December 05, 2011, 11:25:52 PM
I guess that's what I need (sticky foam).

I bought a socket for the charge pump IC, but I didn't use it. I just soldered the IC in. Any reason to socket the IC?

Thanks.

Hack_Black

It's done. Thanks for the help.

It's definitely a keeper. From videos, I kind of had a hard time hearing what it does. But what it does for me is makes my tone brighter without any kind of shrillness or ice pick, just more clarity. I love it. The Fat knob gives it more volume and a fatter tone, but it isn't mid-rangey.

I only played it through an amp set clean by itself and then in front of an Ibanez digital delay. It definitely is a big improvement on the tone, and makes the dealy sound killer.

Thanks for the help. 

Geosh

Anyone have it in a small enclosure and have some pics? Wondering how tight I can get mine...

bigmufffuzzwizz

If I can ever find a good source for 9mm pots I'm gonna put my Fat Pants in a 1590a!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Hack_Black