News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean changed my life

Started by 9Lives, November 22, 2011, 02:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

Hi all. I'm 28 yrs old. Married truck drivier, long time guitar player. I always tend to get obsessed with things. (used to be drugs, clean for over a year now). When I stoped all that crap I picked my guitar back up and really  dove in. I really enjoyed the whole FX deal and had the crazy idea of building my own. I started with BYOC (awesome for beginners) not knowing jack about electronics. Since then I've completed a few byocs and found madbean. This pushed me to new levels and I really enjoy these pcbs. I've completed the mudbunny and cupcake and debuging the slow loris. The cupcake is amazing it whoops all of my ross style comps (IMO) my active picks distort the ross to much but the cupcake holds strong. I guess my point is appreciation to madbean for making these and everyone in the forums who quickly and willingly help out at anytime of the day. Thanks again!

Micpoc

Congrats on your sobriety and discovering a better way of channeling your passions. You'll find as you get older that the name you chose for yourself - '9Lives' - is REALLY appropriate: we go through different stages while passing through life, self-morphing ourselves all the way until what comes out the end seems lifetimes removed from where we started. Just don't use them up too fast, and keep soldiering - AND soldering - on!  ;)

gtr2

Inspiring story.  Thanks for sharing.  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Very nice 9. Congrat's on digging out of the no win dead end game called drug addiction. From pedals you can go to guitars and speaker cabs and amp building  ;D Lots of things to build, not enough time to build them  :)
John

jubal81

Great story, bud!

This is a fantastic hobby and I can really see how it can help you refocus things in your life. It's totally open-ended, meaning you can spend as much time on it as you like, and there are always goals and accomplishments all along the way.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

keysandguitars

Congrats on your sobriety, it's a lifelong commitment as you are learning. Keep it up one day at a time!

As Chromesphere (member of the forum) and I joke around, we're addicted to building pedals, particularly madbeans stuff for me, but it beats the alternative vices...and you walk away with a pedalboard that will slay your foes with a single stomp.

I just finished a slow loris, post questions in tech support if you can't get it going. As you've found, everyone is happy to help out.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

nzCdog

Congrats 9lives! This is such an awesome hobby, so many good dudes here willing to share and teach!  I'm learning all the time too, and this is a much better way to spend time than in my eradicable previous addiction :D  (Computer games! :-[)

dwstanford

Thats an awesome story.  There's a great community here to learn from.  And now you're a part of it whether you like it or not!   ;D. Congratulations on your builds.  The cupcake is one of my favorite comps also.  It gets that classic comp feel im looking for better than any other ive tried.

pietro_moog

you are doing good man.
soon as you'll learn to manipulate electronics, you'll be more and more into this.
it will become soon and addiction. i  EVEN  quit smocking cigarettes to have more "free" money to throw in to my hobby.
next step are tube amps, usually small ones.
then come warmoth guitars.

all this is not gonna be easy and cheap. but at least it's funny, satisfying and usually not a threat for health.
so, enjoy

9Lives

man, what a great reply. Everyone here is so great. I'm going to post a new thread about the rat I just finished. Slow loris I think. I have afew questions. But thanks again for the support

raulduke

Thats a nice story mate. Glad to hear you got out of the downwards spiral.

I think pedal building (and building anything in general) is a really good hobby as it exercises the mind and also requires a bit of hands-on work which I always find relaxing.

This forum is probaby the friendliest I am a member of; if you have any questions just ask.

The only problem you might find is that building pedals is just as addictive as any drug!