News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD!

Started by matmosphere, April 10, 2020, 12:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

After about three weeks of not having any of my gear I finally found a guitar that is suitable for my current predicament. The Hofner Shorty. Got it on Craigslist for $80. Felt a little reckless using craigslist, but I talked with the guy beforehand to make sure we could do everything in a responsible way. Then I took it home and cleaned it about ten times with disinfectant wipes and threw the gig bag in a closet, where it will stay until long after any lingering germs will die.

I'm actually pretty impressed with it; the neck is nice, stays in tune pretty well, and the frets are level and no sharp ends. It's got the same scale length as a Gibson, so even with the small size it still feels about right when I play it. Surprisingly playable considering the size. Tends to dive a little toward the headstock but it is so lightweight it takes almost no effort to hold it up.

I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, and I don't know if I will unless I buy an amp. But it's something to keep me entertained a little until I can go back home, whenever that is possible.

So guys this begs the question, anybody have a suggestion for an inexpensive, small (not much bigger than a shoebox) amp to go along with it? I have been looking at the 5 watt Monoprice champ clone but I'm on the fence. It's a little bigger than what I'd like considering we're probably going to have to bounce around a little bit over the next couple months (hopefully just a few). Wish I could find the older version, it seems like it's a little smaller. I thought about just building a Ruby, but I've come to the realization that because soldering can sometimes bother my asthma, I'm going to hold off on doing any builds for the time being.

davent

Looks good!

Is the Pignose still a viable option, good enough for Zappa?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Wow man, that looks great, especially for 80.00. I would've bought it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on April 10, 2020, 01:37:37 AM
Looks good!

Is the Pignose still a viable option, good enough for Zappa?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE
dave

Thanks Dave, I thought they stopped making those years ago.. interesting.

cooder

Nice compact score and a no brainer for 80 bucks! Enjoy!

Fun fact: viruses are actually not living things like bacteria, so rather than 'dying' they decompose.
DIE DIE DIE blimmin virus!
And hope yourasthma gets better!

BigNoise Amplification

snz728

Small fun practice amp I got recently was the blackstar fly 3 easy to take everywhere and quiet

Aentons

Quote from: cooder on April 10, 2020, 02:40:40 AM
Fun fact: viruses are actually not living things like bacteria, so rather than 'dying' they decompose.
DIE DIE DIE blimmin virus!
And hope yourasthma gets better!

Sorry to hijack but, I had to look that up! Wikipedia makes that sound a bit debatable. To be fair, we decay too. Interesting, thanks for the tidbit.

"Viruses are considered by some biologists to be a life form, because they carry genetic material, reproduce, and evolve through natural selection, although they lack key characteristics (such as cell structure) that are generally considered necessary to count as life. Because they possess some but not all such qualities, viruses have been described as "organisms at the edge of life", and as replicators."

Aentons

I have a Pignose and a Fly 3 and much prefer the Pignose. The fly is not very loud at all, but it does have built in eq and delay. The fly is smaller and is hard plastic, so you could throw it in a backpack if you want. If you are not happy with the Pignose, you could tinker with it, but not so much with the fly.