News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My take on the DSOTM aka Skreddy Lunar Module

Started by Max, March 05, 2020, 05:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

After playing a bit with a breadboarded fuzz, starting from a simple VOX fuzz (from a VOX Double Sound Wah-Fuzz), then turning it into a Jimi Hendrix FF, I decided to go for something more flexible and built the Skreddy Lunar Module.
I designed the PCB to fit a 1590A with two pots for Level and Fuzz, two pots with the small plastic shaft for Body and Bright and a trim for the Bias with the possibility to put a shaft on it and bring it out of the enclosure (which I did, and recommend).
At first I was really disappointed with the sound, until I checked the schematic and found a missing trace, nothing important, only the input signal to the base of Q2  :o Now I'm surprised I got any sound at all  ;D ;D
Anyway, fixed that and voilà, sounds great without any tweaking and with a lot of different settings. I still have to try it with a Wah.
Here's a couple of pictures. The graphic was recycled from another pedal that I didn't really like and is long gone in the spare parts bin.
PS: the LED is purple  ;)
Enjoy:

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Max

Thanks! Well, yes, I just can't do it now, as soon as I can I'll record something.

Ben N

You madman! I built one on a jmk board in a 125B; I have no notion of how you got it into a 1590A. Enjoy!

Aleph Null

It looks downright roomy in there! Also like the graphics.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Philthy

Max, Awesome. I'd be very interested in one of those PCBs if you have any leftover. Cheers.

Bio77

Awesome build!.  Looks like a 1590B on the inside, didn't know that could be done.  If you have a pic of the topside of the board before it wanton the box, it would be cool to see how all that fits together.

Max

Thanks everybody! This evening I can open it up and take a picture of the other side of the board. Actually, the only way to fit it in there was to use 1/4W mini resistors from Musikding, the normal metal film ones should be mounted vertical (and I have a pcb drawing for that as well). The capacitors' size is critical too, the one that's right in the centre of the board is touching the lid of the box :D
@Philthy: I still have two boards of the three I ordered from Oshpark, but they all have the missing trace I mentioned above. It can be easily fixed with a bridge wire, otherwise I can share the corrected .brd file in Oshpark or directly here.

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bio77

Quote from: Max on March 06, 2020, 09:44:59 AM
Thanks everybody! This evening I can open it up and take a picture of the other side of the board.
Oh, I hope you won't do that because of my question.  I thought you might have a pic on hand.   I was just wondering if you had anything special, is it just regular 9mm pots?

Max

Actually, when I got home I opened the enclosure to take the picture, just to remember that the power socket is soldered to the board with very short tinned wire, so I can't take the PCB out unless I de-solder that first. But I took a close up of the component side :D
As for your question, I've used 9mm pots for Fuzz and Level (https://www.musikding.de/Pot-9mm-100k-log-Print-vertical), two of these (https://www.musikding.de/Potentiometer-9mm-100k-log-Print_1) for Body and Bright, and a 5mm trimmer for the Bias with a 20mm axle (https://www.musikding.de/ACP-axle-20mm-black). Unfortunately, the axle is made for 10mm trimmers, so I had to modify it a little bit to fit.
I had to use a trimmer for the Bias because I couldn't find a vertical pot of the right value (2K).
Here's the picture:

TGP39

I love everything about this!  Great job.
~Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.