News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

current lover smokes...

Started by Sigesmundninja, November 30, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

Just populated a current lover board. No subs, used MN3207. Followed the documentation regarding D4 correction. Got signal when bypassed but not engaged, then it started to smoke from R33 (10R). Never happened to me before so I didn't think much about it, just swapped the resistor and tryed again, same thing happend. All resistors were checked with my DMM before soldered. All diods and caps are the right way around and as far as I can tell the IC's are ok.

Any suggestions here?

jkokura

yikes!

That's not a good sign at all! I would really be careful and triple check that you made the D4 modification properly.

But because that's connecting right into your 9V supply I would bet that it's fine, the problem will likely be with R33 and not with D4.

R33's purpose is simply to smooth out some power issues, along with C20 and R34 and 35 with give you your bias voltage.

Can you give us voltage readings at your 9V pad, the other side of R33, and at both sides of C20?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

You're running it off a 9v supply, correct? Make sure that D3 is installed correctly and C20 is not faulty, and lastly that all the ICs are oriented the right way.

If all this is true, you can safely jumper out R33. Alternatively, you can try a larger value such as 100R. That should fix the problem.

dwstanford

My current lover smokes too, but she knows better than to do it in the house.   ;D.   All kidding aside, I cant offer any better advice than what Jacob and Brian have suggested, but if you continue to have problems, I could offer a second set of eyes to see if there may be a mistake somewhere.  If youre comfortable posting some revealing pics of your current lover that is.  (couldnt resist one last lame joke)

Sigesmundninja

My first choice of "subjectname" was "my current lover is so hot"  ;D

I sat down and scratched my head when looking over the IC's a third time... turned 2 of them around and voila... no smoke and scratchy signal. tuned the trimpots a little and now I think i might be able to get a good sound out of this baby. But now I have to get to sleep if im going to able to get to work tomorrow so I will have to trim it a bit more tomorrow..

But why would R33 burn beacuse of a IC?

/thank you for your help!