News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Footswitch for Silverface Princeton Reverb

Started by Jamiroking, November 04, 2011, 01:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiroking

When I bought my PR, it didn't come with the footswitch and rather than shill out the money for one, I figured it would be the simplest thing I built so far. But I have one question

I was thinking to build my pedal with a detachable cable and a stereo TRS jack on the pedal. The plugs on the amp are 2 RCAs (one for the reverb, one for the 'vibrato'), and it appears that the effects default to on when the switch is open or unplugged, and therefore closing the circuit from + (tip) to ground (sleeve) turns them off. In order to get this to work with a TRS, it seems I would have to close both switches to the same sleeve since I only have 3 segments on the TRS.

Is there any problem in doing this? It appears to work when toying around but I'm worried closing both switches might be dangerous somehow and I should just make the pedal connection 2 RCAs as well.

As a bonus, If anyone can explain to me how closing the vibrato circuit with an LED actually causes it to speed up , I'd love to know!

oldhousescott

You should be fine using the common sleeve connection for the grounding point for both the reverb and trem.

As far as the LED in the footswitch circuit goes, the only thing I can figure is, by virtue of its on/off operation, it reduces the effective resistance of one of the legs of the phase-shift oscillator enough to cause the frequency of oscillation to increase.