News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking converted to True Bypass

Started by madmac, October 08, 2011, 10:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmac

I've had my buffered V3 sunking on my pedalboard for about a year now and still love the tone of this beast.  I temporarily removed the sunking from my board and found that wow my aristocrat sounds much better with more dymanics and better response without the sunking in the chain.  So I decided to mod the sunking to true bypass - much happier.  I figured I already have a TU2 and eventide timefactor both of which already have buffers no need for a third one.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: madmac on October 08, 2011, 10:37:33 AM
I've had my buffered V3 sunking on my pedalboard for about a year now and still love the tone of this beast.  I temporarily removed the sunking from my board and found that wow my aristocrat sounds much better with more dymanics and better response without the sunking in the chain.  So I decided to mod the sunking to true bypass - much happier.  I figured I already have a TU2 and eventide timefactor both of which already have buffers no need for a third one.

You know what, I found the same thing with the very first Sunking I built. I found whatever I was running after the Sunking sounded sort of dulled out. Lots of people love the SK buffer but it just doesn't do anything for me. My Sunking is TB and I love it!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

I had the opposite experience. The buffer provided a nice arable clean sound for me, in a true bypass loop the sound was more anemic.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Jamiroking

I made a mod to be able to toggle between true bypass and the buffer but after I played it, I thought I had wasted my time since three buffer added a lot of clarity to my usually dark les paul. however the real benefit came from the fact that the zombii that follows it was completely different when the buffer was on. Not as responsive and doesn't really clean up at all. so now  I can switch off the buffer if a certain song us going to be using the fuzz more. A build report should be coming if I ever get around to finishing the  decal

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Jamiroking on October 09, 2011, 09:00:35 PM
I made a mod to be able to toggle between true bypass and the buffer but after I played it, I thought I had wasted my time since three buffer added a lot of clarity to my usually dark les paul. however the real benefit came from the fact that the zombii that follows it was completely different when the buffer was on. Not as responsive and doesn't really clean up at all. so now  I can switch off the buffer if a certain song us going to be using the fuzz more. A build report should be coming if I ever get around to finishing the  decal

I would love to see a wiring diagram of what you did. I have the Sunking in line soon and couldn't decide what I wanted to do...that and what enclosure I wanted to put it in. This idea would be cool now.
John

Jamiroking

I would love to see a wiring diagram of what you did. I have the Sunking in line soon and couldn't decide what I wanted to do...that and what enclosure I wanted to put it in. This idea would be cool now.

I'm finally finishing the decal design and I'll be posting a build report soon (probably this weekend) with the mod and everything. I've had some pedals sitting around for over a year now without labels or decals that I've already designed. When I started forgetting what the knobs did, I figured it was time to get on with it and finish them all.