News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Replacing a 3PDT w/a toggle?

Started by vizcities, February 19, 2018, 06:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vizcities

I've been futzing with putting a tremolo into a Ruby amp circuit and I want to be able to bypass it using a toggle. I've tried to replace the usual 3PDT latching stomp with an ON-ON 3PDT toggle, but it seems to kill the trem. My working theory is that I should be using an ON-OFF toggle instead. Is this correct? Or could there be some other issue I'm not seeing? The trem works just fine when not attached to a toggle switch, so I know it's not the circuit.

blearyeyes

On-On is right. On-off-on has an additional position where everything’s disconnected. After building for a long time I had to sit down with a switch and set my meter to continuity testing and check which terminals were connected when it was switched.

Here=

1 — — — —   1 connected to Center / “click” 1 disconnected and C connects to 2
C — — — —   center or what you want to connect to outside rows 1&2
2 — — — —

Take a toggle switch out if you have one. Notice the orientation of the solder terminals or poles. Hold it so they are oriented horizontally:

It connects from center to top then center to bottom. Usually the opposite direction of where the toggle points.

Hold it up with your footswitch.

Think of your footswitch as 4 of those in a row.

I’m sure you probably know all this but I hope it makes sense and maybe helps. It’s easy to get this all fuggly and bassackwards.