News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mayonnaise of Doom

Started by Guitarmageddon, August 27, 2011, 05:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarmageddon

A Gruntbox built to mayo specs, minus the tone stack, swichable input cap (phat and phatter) and two MPSA18 (Q1 & 2) and two MPSA13 (Q3 & 4) Sounds thick, smooth and demonic. ;D

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

jkokura

Noice wiring job. I like the offset look quite a bit.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

juansolo

Very nice. Love the mayo lots, heavy as hell.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks freakin sweet! I'm trying to figure out what color your pedal really is, or is the background changed??
Haven't built a muff w/ MPSA trannys yet, but I grabbed some a little ago to give it a try. Do you like this configuration better than using all of same transistor?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

Love it man, very tidy and cool colors :)

jimmybjj

The finish on that is great. What color and kind of paint did you use?
Pcbs no longer available

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on September 05, 2011, 05:19:04 PM
Looks freakin sweet! I'm trying to figure out what color your pedal really is, or is the background changed??
Haven't built a muff w/ MPSA trannys yet, but I grabbed some a little ago to give it a try. Do you like this configuration better than using all of same transistor?

Thanks guys!
I color-shifted the photo, I thought the mood better reflected it's sound. ;)
The pedal is actually on a green mossy patch outside my shed. As the pedal is all black, it wasn't really changed.
The enclosure is just a prepainted 1590B from Smallbear. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to the exteriors :-[
Tranny wise I wanted it to be pretty full on, so used all darlington at first, but mixing the trannys seemed to help maintain a bit more articulation. All MPSA13's sounds good too.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

I have to admit that's one nice looking patch of moss!!  ;D
I'm getting more and more intrigued about building a muff using these suggested trannys. I keep finding more and more choices from the standard 2N5089. Have you built other versions besides mayo?
That's one I have yet to still build.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Guitarmageddon

So far I've built Triangle, Rams Head, Civil War and Mayo gruntboxes, and the BYOC beaver and Guitar PCB Lunar Fuzz.  I think the Mayo sounds so fat partly because it passes so mch bass. The darlington trannys give you plenty of sustain, but the trade-off is that they don't really seem to clean up much.
I've fooled with different trannys with most of the builds, it seems that you can get away with using almost anything in a muff.
I don't really care for the Muff tone control, and tend to leave it off, or replace it with something else.
If I have a favorite, it's probably the Muff/harmonic energizer build that's currently on my board. The 'Fank 'n' Beans' which I posted a little while back. It's a versitile muff coupled with a kick-ass eq stage. ;D
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com