News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Serendipity - Completed build #2 of 13

Started by chromesphere, September 05, 2011, 11:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

2nd completed build is a Serendipity or as i have called it, the Dragon Drive.  Another tight build, for me anyway, those 4 knobbers in a 1590b test my wiring neatness. That said, turned out ok i think.  I might look at getting some replacement, low profile knobs, something not so tall, as they make it harder to read the text. I've got one more ill be doing this week, and then im going to have a break.  I need it :)
Thanks for looking,
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

raulduke

I would say it turned out better than ok mate.

Top notch build!

The aluminium knobs look cool too.

chromesphere

Thanks Raulduke,
I think the decal looks better in the flesh with this one, its really glossy and the dragons on the front are a bit easier to see. Really happy with the appearance actually, (still not sure about the knobs though).

Haven't used the effect much as yet, but i did notice the odd behaviour of the voice dial.  Sort of acts like a 2nd drive knob?  on zero i get pretty well no drive.  I think thats how its meant to work from what i've read and heard.  If anyone has one and thats not the case, please let me know if i stuffed it (thanks :) )
Paul

nzCdog

rullywowr

Quote from: chromesphere on September 05, 2011, 11:23:56 PM
Thanks Raulduke,
I think the decal looks better in the flesh with this one, its really glossy and the dragons on the front are a bit easier to see. Really happy with the appearance actually, (still not sure about the knobs though).

Haven't used the effect much as yet, but i did notice the odd behaviour of the voice dial.  Sort of acts like a 2nd drive knob?  on zero i get pretty well no drive.  I think thats how its meant to work from what i've read and heard.  If anyone has one and thats not the case, please let me know if i stuffed it (thanks :) )
Paul

Hey Paul,

I just built a couple Serendipitys and the Voice knob really does tweak where the mids are IMO at least on mine it doesn't operate like a volume knob.  This is a strange overdrive as the GAIN and the Volume work together to make different tones.  I like the Zendrive circuit however the Glitteratti (BB Preamp) just smokes it out of the water in my opinion.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

chromesphere

Hey Rullywowr,
Thanks for the info.  So your voice doesnt add any clipping / gain to the output...thats odd.  I've seen some people report that it does and some that it doesnt...Maybe i just cant hear the clipping in the top end of the output when the voice dial is turned down, as i think theres a treble cut...idk, have play around with it some more, havent had much time with it yet...
Thanks again!

raulduke

Chromesphere:

On my Zendrive turning CW seems to add more treble/mids and more gain and vol.

Turning CCW seems to add more bass/low mids and somewhat reduces the gain and vol.

I usually have to alter the Vol and Gain controls after setting the voice control.

Sounds like your build is working as it should to me  :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job! I still have yet to build most of the low/mid gain distortion units MB provided, so many of you rant and rave about them.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

chromesphere

Thanks guys,
Raulduke, thanks for the confirmation.  I checked over the board, all the components, when i first assembled it.  Everything checked out.  So i just sort of rolled with it, assuming its the nature of the beast.  STILL havent even used the stupid thing, been busy with other stuff at the moment.  Looking forward to cranking it up. :)