News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What were you guys listening to in High School?

Started by jkokura, August 27, 2011, 08:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjkanejr

Phil Keaggy - Love it!  He is my hometown hero.  I was listening to Dokken, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Poison, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Ozzy, Priest, Warrant; basically anything now considered hair bands. Hendrix, Holdsworth, Vai, Satriani, Stryper, TNT... I still listen to the same stuff and admire the playing skills, originality and musicality of players like George Lynch (love his Furious George album) and Ronni LeTekro (love the My Religion and All the Way to the Sun albums).  I'm liking the recent stuff by Neil Zaza and Andy Timmons.  Also like alot of CCM, like Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster.  I think you get it.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: cjkbug on August 27, 2011, 02:35:40 PM
metal and shrapnel records shred stuff.

Yes Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker!!!
I mostly listened to US hardcore punk; Black Flag, Bad Brains, MDC, Minutemen and the whole bunch..Which turned into Stoner Metal/Doom plus lots of Rock and Roll/Pysch/Heavy Metal...I'm still trying to figure out how that happened??
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

derevaun

Ha, funny, I did sort of the reverse. Lots of metal; Accept, Ozzy, AC/DC, Quiet Riot, etc. Then I discovered punk--Black Flag, Descendents, MX-80 Sound, etc. I guess I found punk more worldly, more shocking to the religious values of my little hometown. Kids, right? Who knows.

juansolo

AC/DC, Kiss, Rainbow, Black Sabbath were the main ones. Still like all that stuff. Don't think I ever got out of the 70's ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

Nevermind dropped when I was  a freshman in high school. I HATED hair metal, so before that all I listened to was pretty much just ZZ Top and Aerosmith. Growing up in the rural mountains of N.C., Nevermind clued me in that there were bands still making great music, just under the radar a bit.
Blind Melon wasn't under the radar, but it was the only cassette I had to buy three times because I played it so much the tape stretched and I was getting slower, detuned Blind Melon.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

FredGarvin

Kraftwerk, Devo, Talking Heads, The Clash, The Police, Duran Duran. That's pretty much it. It wasn't until 10 years later I started listening to other stuff like Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Cream, etc. I listened to a lot of crappy 80's stuff back then. I'm much better now.