News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mr. Black Dark Echo- pt2399 based? modulation?

Started by claytushaywood, October 10, 2017, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

Anyone know anything about the Dark Echo?  to me it sounds like a pt2399 based delay- and it has 450ms of delay time, which would make it longer than a single 3005 and shorter than a dual... and definitely shorter than another digital chip.

can anyone confirm this?

what about the sweet modulation circuit?  sounds like a very slow "swaying" modulation- seems kinda unique.  I'd love to learn more about it as I'm trying to implement some sort of cool modulation into a pt2399+boost pedal.

thanks!

jkokura

I remember that it was supposed to be PT2399, but it had some sort of secret to it, so perhaps it wasn't. That was a good number of years ago now. I think we had a non-verbal agreement setup that it was a project we weren't going to clone, but I don't remember why.

Perhaps one of the other guys (CJ? Brian?) might remember more than me.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Yes, it's PT2399-based. I had one but didn't trace it out of respect for Jack Deville...well, that and it's on a 4-layer board and was well beyond my skills in 2012. The LFO's single control simultaneously adjusts speed and depth, but inversely. So low depth + high speed on one end, and deep and slow on the other.

Here's what Jack said at FSB after I posted gut shots:

Quote from: Jack DevilleTwo dual opamps in the circuit. Opamps on the DC jack side of the board create the oscillator, which is a simple, yet cool and stable circuit. Here are a few hints: sway control at minimum, oscillator shuts off. Sway control at maximum, oscillator frequency is at minimum.

---

The real prize in that circuit is the modulation control circuit. No current wasting LED/opto rig. Nope. This one is hipper and more obscure than that.  ;D

Gut shot attached because it's so purty.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

culturejam

Actually, looking back at the FSB thread, Jack said it was only a 2-layer board. Still, beyond my chops 5+ years ago.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

claytushaywood

wow- thats a layout right there.  how tf do you even arrange something like that lol.  i cant believe those pedals are going for less than $100 used. 

Scruffie

IIRC the LFO is done by varying the resistor from the output of the LFO to the non-inverting input of the schmitt, despite it being a nice solution to having one knob modulation personally I never found it that useful though, I prefer slower rates to have a lower depth and vice versa.
Works at Lectric-FX

287m

OOT
just amazed look at layout, beautiful OCD! love it

what trannies is that? and function?

claytushaywood

Quote from: Scruffie on October 11, 2017, 12:03:21 AM
IIRC the LFO is done by varying the resistor from the output of the LFO to the non-inverting input of the schmitt, despite it being a nice solution to having one knob modulation personally I never found it that useful though, I prefer slower rates to have a lower depth and vice versa.

you may be the only one- it is very commong for people to want slow speed high depth and faster speed lower depth on modulation effects.  but to each his own!  I just thought it sounded better than most modulation circuits

madbean

Scruffie

Quote from: claytushaywood on October 11, 2017, 12:34:10 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on October 11, 2017, 12:03:21 AM
you may be the only one- it is very commong for people to want slow speed high depth and faster speed lower depth on modulation effects.  but to each his own!  I just thought it sounded better than most modulation circuits
Ah, yes, for a standard modulation pedal I do prefer it that way and there it's useful, I mean strictly for modulation of a delay.
Works at Lectric-FX