News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vintage Phase 90 problem

Started by AntKnee, August 03, 2017, 08:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I'm building a vintage phase 90, the six IC version, and I'm not getting full phase out of it. I can get a beautiful phase effect if I manually manipulate the trimpot back and forth, but it won't phase on its own. I have tried all manner of adjustments to the trimmer, but all it does is output the tone created by the trimmer position, with no "wave" to it. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction based on those symptoms, if possible.

I used a set of 2n5952 trannies that I matched myself, so I know they should be good.

I apologize for not having a schematic. I built this from an etched pcb made from a layout I got from FSB, which did not include a schematic and I don't know what schematic it is based upon. I didn't post voltages because my build doc and layout do not even have IC numbers to relate the voltages to. You can find the doc I used to build the pedal here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13215910/Script%20Phaze%2090.pdf

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jimilee

The pin outs on the trannies are opposite the 5452 trannies. Did you check that? Also check for bridges against the mask that you used to etch the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Quote from: jimilee on August 03, 2017, 08:17:05 PM
The pin outs on the trannies are opposite the 5452 trannies. Did you check that? Also check for bridges against the mask that you used to etch the board.

Ah, a fellow phaser lover.

Yeah, bridges was my first check. I don't see any that shouldn't be there.
My layout is made for 5952, so I don't think orientation (opposite the 5457) is the problem.

AntKnee

So, yeah, it was a solder bridge near the trimmer. It only took my 3 rounds of checking to find it!

Zigcat

jimilee

Nicely done sir. I do love a good phaser.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Quote from: jimilee on August 03, 2017, 10:29:05 PM
Nicely done sir. I do love a good phaser.

It sounds good, not as bright as my Nom Nom and a tiny bit more lush than my block logo phase 90.
It does have a heckuva pop in the footswitch, though. It may need a pull down. It doesn't have electro caps, so I can rule out a leak, I think.

somnif

Are those 50nF'ers Class Y caps? I'm not used to seeing the Blue splayed-leg look on standard components.

AntKnee

I don't know what class it is, but here is the link. I didn't expect them to be blue or have these legs. The pictured item is different, but it does say that the actual item may differ from the picture. I just wanted it to be larger than the tiny ones I keep ending up with from everywhere else. I wanted it to resemble the original phase 90 components.

http://www.newark.com/multicomp/mccc250v503my5u/ceramic-capacitor-0-05uf-250v/dp/97M4051?ost=97M4051&searchView=table&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fsearch

AntKnee

Hate to renew this, but I've still got a bad pop with the footswitch. I am measuring 2.4v at the input! I'd suspect a leaky cap, but there are no electrolytics in this circuit. What else should I look for?