News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

That's no moon!

Started by mjg, July 13, 2017, 08:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

A Shoot the Moon tremolo build - this one was done by my kid.  This is part of his school science project this year, so he's doing all the work on this one. 

Normally when he helps out with the soldering, I'll select the parts and hand them to him, letting him know "This is R7", etc. 

For this build I left him to it with the board, soldering iron, component list and box of many parts.  He managed pretty well - only one mistake on the build.  He put a 100k resistor in place of a 100R... which took me about half an hour to track down.  Then another half an hour to realise that desoldering the resistor had broken the trace between the top and bottom of the board.   ::)

I also made him do all of the off board wiring (including off board pots) on this build.  Because I'm evil. 

Graphics were also his design.  I had a nice artistic photo of the moon, but once he heard the name of the pedal he went with a Death Star theme.  Waterslide inkjet decal, with some clear spray over. 

Cheap eBay enclosure, which was pretty crap quality (the aluminium had cracks in it!), and finally found a use for some of the giant knobs I accidentally ordered months ago. 

The sound is pretty cool.  The square wave / sine wave setting is especially interesting for his science project, so that's a bonus!

The gut shot shows that the board has had the name scratched off.  It was like that when I bought it, not sure what the story is with that!

alanp

That's a really good job he made of it :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Aced.  Start'em early, that's fantastic.  Congrats to you both, that's a great looking pedal 8)

Boba7

Yeah it looks fantastic!! Congrats!

oip

stringsthings

Very nice!   That's an excellent school project!
All You Need Is Love