News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Rotary Speaker

Started by dan.schumaker, July 07, 2017, 12:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Tempted but don't know how I'd find the time.

thesmokingman

no thank you. I had a hacked together leslie for a while and its all the fun of maintaining a vintage tube amp and the fun of maintaining vintage electro-mechanical devices.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

WormBoy

If I can salvage a small electromotor from something, I would be tempted to make a mini version with a small amp and speaker, just for fun. If I need a Lesliesound on stage I would be happy with a 90%-accurate modded phaser, at a fraction of the size and weight (I know, I'm lazy).

zombie_rock123

I love these DIY workarounds that can be done easier with electronics- like the Make magazine tremolo with an LDR, led and rotating CD with the waveform drawn on. Sure, its easier to make a Lune but what funs that when you got a PC fan and half an hour to kill!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Aleph Null

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on July 07, 2017, 04:57:09 PM
I love these DIY workarounds that can be done easier with electronics- like the Make magazine tremolo with an LDR, led and rotating CD with the waveform drawn on. Sure, its easier to make a Lune but what funs that when you got a PC fan and half an hour to kill!

Every solution has its idiosyncrasies. There are Leslie pedals that do a good simulation of a recorded Leslie, but I haven't found a pedal that sounds the same is being in the room with one.

lars

It's much easier (and cheaper) to just gut the real Leslie unit from an old organ, than to completely reinvent the wheel by making it all from scratch. You generally can get the organ for free, and all the parts and wood are right there for you.