News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CHUNK CHUNK Kills!

Started by shawnee, September 02, 2011, 02:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Just finished the Chunk Chunk but I don't have a box for it yet. I built it stock but left the ground wire off of the presence pot and used a clip lead to connect it up because I wanted to try the "SLO" mod. It's a pretty cool change and I like both sounds so I will probably use a switch. It's not a "quiet" pedal but I think the noise level is very reasonable considering the gain this thing has. Once I use some shielded wire and box it, it should be fine. I noticed that biasing some of the FETs hot actually reduced noise. I read somewhere that a couple of guys biased around 4.5v but hit Q3 with 8 volts. I tried it and it knocked some hum down. I'll play with the bias some more when it is boxed. I'm getting some pretty tasty Nuno tones through a MAZ18 set clean with this pedal. I'm back in the 80's baby!

stecykmi

i agree it's a fun circuit. good fun for big chunky power chords.

sgmezei

Do you happen to have a link for the SLO mod?

shawnee

Quote from: sgmezei on September 02, 2011, 05:41:45 AM
Do you happen to have a link for the SLO mod?
It's just removing R15, C13, and the Presence pot from the circuit. You can build as normal and all you have to do is not connect the wire to lug 1 of the presence pot and it will lift part of the tone stack by removing the ground. It may have been stecykmi's idea but I can't remember for sure. It increases volume just a touch and takes a little of the smooth "zzzzzzz" sound away. I liked it a little better with it connected but it it so easy to do it would be worth switching in my opinion.
I wonder if I put a switch on it if it will pop when is is flipped.....

On a side note, I wonder how close the new Wampler SLO pedal is to this circuit?
http://www.wamplerpedals.com/distortions/SLOstortion.html

gtr2

It ain't a build report with no pics.   :P

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TheCobbenator

This is good to know! I'm excited about finishing mine! I just need a few caps I think.  Def will be done in the next batch.  I'm contemplating putting it in a 1590B, but that may be pushing it.  Maybe not, though...  I would like to see pics of just your circuit though. And will def try the SLO sound. Thanks for the tip!

Also I used to own the Triple Recstortion by Wampler (one of the original 100 before it was the triple wreck) and it was frrrreaking incredible. Looking forward to comparing the two. My Stiletto can get as metal as my old recto amp, but it'll be nice to just hit a switch instead of dialing in all the knobs and whatnot...  God, I love Mesa stuff.

mgwhit

Very cool.  Finished wiring up the pots on mine last night, and I've been tweaking the Q1-Q4 bias this morning.  Sounds pretty cool.  I'm not really into metal tone, but I'm hoping I can get some high gain pop-punk tones out of this.  Right now I'm running it with 2N5457's in all 5 spots, and I really like how usable my guitar's volume and tone knobs are with this configuration.  I'll try some J201's tonight.  Enjoy!