News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New adventures in baking (enclosures)

Started by Willybomb, June 25, 2017, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

I've got a couple of builds on the go and after buying a toaster oven for $5 at a garage sale I thought I would give baking finishes a go.

I couldn't find my usual Spraymax 1k after moving interstate so I went against my normal instincts and got some Rustoleum Motospray Lacquer.  I haven't had great results with their 2x so I was a bit apprehensive.

After giving one of my projects a coat (I have a number to do for a friend, so I did mine first to see how it would go and what I would change) I baked it for around 20 minutes at 80c.  The lacquer had a slightly uneven mint tinge afterwards with a few odd bubbles in Dark Lord so I gave it a very light cut with some wet/dry, put a new sticker directly on top and recoated.

I dropped the temp to 30c and just left it for half an hour or so while I prepped the other boxes.  There was a couple of bumps in the hardened finish so I have it another cut and spray.  One more session in the oven and I was pretty happy.

Phat Boy  got 2 runs, and the signature Looper got 3 runs in the oven each, with a cut on the Looper.  I nailed Phatboy and probably won't bother with a cut and polish with these boxes.  I *might* cut/polish PB but I also might quit while I'm ahead.  The finish seems hard enough and I'm happy with the whites in PB.  Dark Lord isn't bad.

The test will be to see how well it resists chips and the like.  I had a crappy brand of clear somewhere along the way that chips to powder underneath the washers when the nuts are tightened (ref: Stealth (I use a fineline to colour the chips in), and Razorback (I pulled it apart and gave it a coat of another lacquer).

The photos don't really do them justice, but are convincing me that I might need to cut and polish.

Adam_DIY

I think they look great I especially love the looper.

Haberdasher

Good work, those look fantastic!
But I must admit I thought this thread was going to be about Cheech & Chong Brownies. :P
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS