News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Giant Hogweed Octave Distortion (with a fun story)

Started by Timko, June 18, 2017, 01:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drolo

since the signal is too hot, you won't be needing to increase the gain so rather a smaller value that the current 100k
perhaps a 100k pot would be good so you can dial in less gain than stock if needed.

WormBoy

Quote from: Spacebass on June 19, 2017, 12:46:04 PM
I m a noob at building stuff successfully,
but would something like this help before the octave i being hit, in order to make it see a passive alike signal and not an active signal?
http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

Should work great at the input of the effect, to make the effect 'think' it is being hit with passive pickups. If the signal has too much gain, a volume pot before the pickup simulator should solve that nicely. Question is mainly if the issue is too much volume or the impedance of the active pickups.

drolo

This works mainly with circuits like a fuzz face that expect a guitar at the input. on the giant hogweed, there is a buffer at the input anyway so it might not have the expected effect. (unless inserted after the buffer)

WormBoy

Quote from: drolo on June 20, 2017, 10:03:48 AM
This works mainly with circuits like a fuzz face that expect a guitar at the input. on the giant hogweed, there is a buffer at the input anyway so it might not have the expected effect. (unless inserted after the buffer)
Ah, missed that. Yeah, then the pickup simulator would be superfluous.

Timko

Quote from: drolo on June 19, 2017, 01:31:16 PM
since the signal is too hot, you won't be needing to increase the gain so rather a smaller value that the current 100k
perhaps a 100k pot would be good so you can dial in less gain than stock if needed.

I think David has a great idea here.  I have one more board I'm going to build, and will be replacing the 100k R18 with a 100kA pot.