News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish stopped working, can't figure out why

Started by taeagan, April 02, 2017, 11:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taeagan

So I built a Naughty Fish a couple of months ago.  I had trouble with the Smallbear Maxon optocouplers and wound up getting the Xvive units which did the trick (there was a thread about this).  The pedal worked fine for a while with the exception of some abnormalities occasionally when I would flip the BP/HP/LP switch.  Every once in a while I would flip that switch into one of the positions and get no sound.  Then I would change it again and back and get sound again.  Just an odd quirk with the switch that I figured I could live with.

Now it doesn't work at all.  I get no sound out of the pedal at all with the switch in the BP or LP positions.  In the middle position (HP) I get the guitar signal out but with no auto-wah effect.  Just the guitar signal.  The gain and volume controls work, none of the other controls impact the sound. 

I tested the contacts on the switch with it still soldered into the board and it seems to be making contact everywhere.  Everything that is supposed to be making contact in each of the three positions is.  I tested continuity between the switch contacts and the next components in the board and everything seems to be making contact where it should.  I also swapped out the two Xvive units with two new ones and got no result, so those don't seem to be the culprits.

Can anyone think of a logical reason, looking at the circuit, why I would only get unfiltered signal from the HP position and no signal at all from the LP and BP positions?  I don't want to go through the hassle of un-soldering that switch from the board if it's not the problem.  Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. 

taeagan

The pedal gremlins got me.  I checked voltages and wasn't getting any negative out of the LT1054.  I re-melted all of the solder joints to the chip as well as to the diodes, jumper, and caps around it.  I've got a Naughty Fish again. 

bluescage