Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clip off small notches on the pots

Started by Topsy, April 06, 2017, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsy

Hey guys,

First post here (hooray.) ... :)

I am building a Tube Driver DIY kit from Das Musikding , the pcb and build document is from THCustom effects .

On the build document he mentions : "Don't forget to clip off the small notches on the pots." . (here is the link to the build doc for references : http://diy.thcustom.com/?wpdmdl=3217 )

I don't understand what he means by that , the Potentiometers (9mm 100k log) just seem to have the legs sticking out to solder onto the PCB . What am I missing there ?

Thanks ! :)

bsoncini

It's probably just a generic thing he copies and pasted that you can ignore. 16mm posts have notches that need to be cut off.

m-Kresol

welcome!

9mm pots have these small elevated pieces that are supposed to prevent turning of the pot once fixed to the enclosure. 16mm pots have those in a larger version, which has to be clipped off if you don't drill a hole.
I do recommend sanding the little rised areas of the 9mm pots too though. otherwise they won't sit entirely flat against the enclosure leading to slightly angled pots and knobs.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Could mean any of the the circled items.

alanp

With the 9mm pot, do not cut off the circled leg.

There is a slight, 1mm or 2mm bump on the top. You can see it in the picture, right under the washer and above the second pin. This is what you need to snap off.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

After at least 100 builds, I still forget to do this. /derail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on April 06, 2017, 07:02:38 PM

There is a slight, 1mm or 2mm bump on the top. You can see it in the picture, right under the washer and above the second pin. This is what you need to snap off.

Good point.. I forgot about that little metal flap.

287m

Quote from: alanp on April 06, 2017, 07:02:38 PM

blue = why not?
green = agree

Topsy

Thanks a lot for all the answers :)

I did a first build (which I failed at, for various beginner reasons) and boxed it with no problems so I was wondering how important it was to cut these notches off .. but now I see that they indeed don't stay flat against the enclosure if these notches are still in place!