News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Working with tweed

Started by Adam_DIY, March 05, 2017, 09:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_DIY

Does anyone have any tips for covering a pedal in tweed?  Im assuming the best thing to use is a spray on contact adhesive.  Then amber shellac to darken it for that lacquered look.  Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated I don't have a lot of the tweed and don't want to waste it.

jkokura

There used to be a guy on here who did this sort of thing with all sorts of fabrics. It might be worth doing a hearty search.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Adam_DIY

Thanks I'll have another look.

nzCdog

Scott (sgmezei) used to do some fantastic work with fabrics... I'll bet if you search the build reports for his name you'll find some inspiration :)

TNblueshawk

Quote from: nzCdog on March 06, 2017, 07:09:11 PM
Scott (sgmezei) used to do some fantastic work with fabrics... I'll bet if you search the build reports for his name you'll find some inspiration :)

Seemed like there was another dude too but I can't think of who. Maybe it was over at BYOC. Try that search over there in the builds section too Adam.
John

mrclean77

Guy on BYOC is GarlandFX, former username WretchedStudio - I think he may be here as well

Adam_DIY

Thanks gents I found some helpful posts by John Lyons of Basic Audio which seem to be what I was after.  I'm going to order some 5 minute epoxy, amber shellac and have a go this weekend.  I'll post the results when I'm finished so everyone can have a good laugh at my first attempt  ;D

Muadzin

Quote from: Adam_MD on March 07, 2017, 07:18:35 AM
Thanks gents I found some helpful posts by John Lyons of Basic Audio which seem to be what I was after.  I'm going to order some 5 minute epoxy, amber shellac and have a go this weekend.  I'll post the results when I'm finished so everyone can have a good laugh at my first attempt  ;D

That's the spirit!  8)

mrclean77

;D ;D

I have not played with tweed, but other (regular ol' cotton-ish) stuff is easy to work with and if you TOTALLY flub it up, it's easy to rip off and start over. I use mod podge on top of thinner fabrics and then clear coat. Last time I used the brush on Min Wax clear and was WAY happier with that method - being able to bring it inside and brush it on instead of waiting on a warm/not windy day is much more convenient - also splurging for a $5 toaster oven to save time in between coats made a big jump in ease of this method.

cajone5

I'll be researching this as well in the future.  Not tweed, tolex.  For a non-tube-reverb head project I got the parts for on a whim (damn you reverb and your occasional good deals).  Please keep us up to date on what you do and how.  And, of course, the results!

TNblueshawk

Quote from: Adam_MD on March 07, 2017, 07:18:35 AM

That's who I was thinking of. He's done many things that are pretty cool. Good luck.
John