News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

L5 Preamp issues

Started by Timko, February 06, 2017, 04:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

After getting past my regulator issues with my L5 preamp, I have 2 other things that have come up.

1.  Channel 1 is super weak.  If I dime every control, it just gets above unity volume.  If I compare that to Channel 2, which stars to break up just short of 12, there's a massive volume difference.  I think I most likely fried IC2 or something.  I'll have some voltage readings later this evening, but if someone has voltages written down I would be very interested in them.

2.  I'm not quite sure what the compressor/limitor is supposed to do.  The light just barely lights up when the knob is turned all the way to the left.  Futhermore, there doesn't seem like a lot is happening with it.  When I set up the pedal, I never got a reading of 1.17 on the output pad (it was around 0.2), so maybe I'm doing something wrong there?  Or maybe (like before) I did something to IC11, IC12, or the 2 transistors around that part of the circuit.  Again, I'll reply back with voltages later tonight, but if someone has them, I would love to have some comparison.

I think these are small problems overall, and once they're resolved, this build will be golden.  So far, Channel 2 sounds huge!

Timko

Here's the DC off of IC2:

4.3m
39m

I ran my multimeter around some of the other ICs, and every pin seems to be either -15V, 15V, or 0.  I even tried hooking up to my testing rig to run a signal through the pedal.  No luck there.  Perhaps I did fry my ICs in my regulator snafu?

gordo

You DID socket these buggers didn't you?  Timko?

If you did, then just the switcheroo but why do I feel like I'm preaching to the choir :-)

I had this problem initially and I'll be dipped if I can remember what I did.  I think it may have been tied to the LED issue and having to leave a ground off one of the switch boards?  Follow the thread about the LED that was around a few days ago and see if that helps.

I'm trying to finish my second build of the L5.  I socketed the IC's on the first one, and all the IC's and trannies on this one.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Timko

Yeah, it's all socketed.  With that much stuff I was sure something wouldn't go right.  I had the same LED issue, but I resolved that by connecting the channel board to the ground next to the LED pad on the main board.

I'm going to try to switch them, but I need to grab some more LM741's for the first channel and some more CA3080's for the compressor.  Those aren't components I have extras of unfortunately :(.  I wanted to see if anyone's voltage readings looked different than mine though.

BrianS

I thought mine was all good, boxed it up and I'm getting zero out of channel 2 now.  I am getting ready to start probing so I will send you what I get off of Ic 2 just to give you something (good/bad) to reference.

BrianS

Well I am getting sound out of Channel 2 now but it's not at unity with Channel 1 and it sounds real bad.  I still need to set the trimmers but I'm not sure that would cause the volume drop. So I have some issues some where in there.  Anyway here's what I got off of IC2
1 -15.06
2 0
3 0
4 -15.09
5- 15.06
6 0
7 -14.61
8 0

Timko

Quote from: BrianS on February 07, 2017, 05:09:09 PM
Well I am getting sound out of Channel 2 now but it's not at unity with Channel 1 and it sounds real bad.  I still need to set the trimmers but I'm not sure that would cause the volume drop. So I have some issues some where in there.  Anyway here's what I got off of IC2
1 -15.06
2 0
3 0
4 -15.09
5- 15.06
6 0
7 -14.61
8 0

Well darn.  Back to the drawing board, because IC2 is basically the same as what I got.