News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current Lover build

Started by mjg, February 05, 2017, 01:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

Just finished up a Current Lover - first pedal I've managed to finish and box for months. 

It's pretty much a stock standard build - only small changes I made were to use the rate indicator as the 'effect on' LED, and wired the flange/matrix switch off board, because I couldn't handle it not being in line with the knobs.  OCD FTW. 

I've used smaller 3.5mm sockets for the send/return loop. 

Thanks to Govmnt_Lacky for pointing out I had a cap in backwards, which would explain why it was leaking brown liquid.   :-[

I've tried a white Tayda enclosure on this one, with sticky printed plastic.  Damn these white enclosures show up every little bit of dirt that I managed to get stuck on the back of the plastic.  I'll have to be neater next time.  Sprayed with a few coats of clear on top. 

Tayda aluminium knobs, which personally I'm not impressed with - I can't get them to tighten and stay level.  The grub screws don't seem to be centred, and the knob twists as you tighten.  Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. 

This pedal is for my kid again, so we've gone with a Simpsons theme.  The Ned Flan-diddly-anger is born. 

stecykmi

haha awesome build. well done.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Now that's a fun one! Great work.

Heard Tayda pots are 6mm in diameter and typical knobs go with 1/4" or 6.35mm diameter shafts. That could be the issue.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mjg

Yeah, maybe the knobs are for a different diameter shaft.  They seem to fit on fine.  The grub screws didn't go all the way through at first, I had to really turn them hard (hard enough that metal shavings were coming out the bottom of the knob) to get them to get purchase on the shaft.  Once they start to tighten up on the shaft they start to tilt. 

The screw also doesn't seem to go through the centre of the hole... it's off to one side.  Maybe that's why it's twisting or tilting? 

I've only tried 3 of them so far, and one seems to be worse than the others, so they may just be a bit varied. 
YMMV. 

mjg

A bit more fun - I was trying to calibrate the clock and bias before I put the PCB in a shielded enclosure.  Had long wires running all over the place to my test rig.  At one point the Current Lover started picking up the signal from an approaching Martian invasion fleet:

http://graybloomfield.com/guitar/2017/02/05/flan-diddly-angers/alien-plans-mp3/  (Needs headphones for the full effect, or big speakers...)

I think Madbean needs to prepare a pedal virus so we can upload it to the alien mothership. 

(Or maybe it was just the local radio.  But I'm going with Martians.)

Ralfg

Great build!  Totally put a smile on my face.  Love all the names.   

I think the Tayda knobs need to be put on knurled shafts to work right.  They look cool though in the pictures.   
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

bluescage

Well my thought is that these knobs have to go on round (or D-schaped) shafts. I tried these kind of knobs with a screw on knurled shafts and got the effect that mjg describes. But it's a very nice build!!

jimilee

I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Stupid flangers!!

Brilliant, great build man.

Matt

Like the concept. Great idea and execution.
I used to have issues with knobs turning as I tightened the set screws. But then I started turning the pot shafts full CW then tightening the knobs.
Matt

Adam_DIY

Absolute class.  Excellent work sir