News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Integrating 1590A Builds into a Board (help!)

Started by Aleph Null, January 06, 2017, 05:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

I have a few 1590A builds that I'm trying to integrate into my main board. Even with industrial strength velcro, I can't get them to adhere to my board securely. Their position is unstable with normal use. I'm using a Pedal Train Jr. with the strongest velcro I can find. Is this the nature of the 1590A? Should I be using zip ties as well? Should I rehouse everything into 1590Bs for increased velcro surface area? How do you 1590A enthusiasts keep everything locked down during a gig?

midwayfair

I know this will come as a surprise from me, but:

I don't use 1590As for pedals that I plan to turn on and off repeatedly.

Actually the only one on my board is a Bearhug. I regret putting a bypass switch on it, to tell the truth, because there would have been more room for the hundred acre wood if I hadn't included it.

daleykd

I guess I haven't had much issue with it.  I used Industrial Velcro (name brand) and things seem to work fine.

GermanCdn

I used to use the pedalboard hook and loop strips Thomann (Germany) used to sell (they might still I don't know), that stuff would hold anything, in fact, it was almost impossible to actually get the pedals off the board.  And it was bloody expensive (like 8X the price of actual Velcro IIRC).

But, like Jon was alluding to, the width to height ratio of a 1590A does not make it conducive to repeated stomping.  You could either go with the bike chain style locks (that you secure to the screws of the enclosure, than screw down to your pedal board) or zip tie them down.  Either of those solutions are suitable if you don't make constant changes to your board, otherwise they are a PITA.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Aleph Null

Quote from: midwayfair on January 06, 2017, 06:13:03 PM
I know this will come as a surprise from me, but:

I don't use 1590As for pedals that I plan to turn on and off repeatedly.

Actually the only one on my board is a Bearhug. I regret putting a bypass switch on it, to tell the truth, because there would have been more room for the hundred acre wood if I hadn't included it.

Given the number of 1590A builds I imagine you must have completed, this is a bit of a surprise. What do you do with them if they don't go on your board?

The idea of switch-less 1590A builds has me thinking about an entire modular system of them built specifically for use with a bypass looper...that might be a cool project.

Aleph Null

Quote from: GermanCdn on January 06, 2017, 06:59:07 PM
I used to use the pedalboard hook and loop strips Thomann (Germany) used to sell (they might still I don't know), that stuff would hold anything, in fact, it was almost impossible to actually get the pedals off the board.  And it was bloody expensive (like 8X the price of actual Velcro IIRC).

But, like Jon was alluding to, the width to height ratio of a 1590A does not make it conducive to repeated stomping.  You could either go with the bike chain style locks (that you secure to the screws of the enclosure, than screw down to your pedal board) or zip tie them down.  Either of those solutions are suitable if you don't make constant changes to your board, otherwise they are a PITA.

I think you're right; it seems to be a limitation of the human interface. I may try zip ties for the builds I have. Future 1590A builds will probably end up in 1590Bs. I'm thinking about building them wide instead of tall (a la ZVex) so that I can still have top-mounted jacks. I love top-mounted jacks!

It's a little encouraging to know that I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

midwayfair

Quote from: Aleph Null on January 06, 2017, 07:01:22 PM
Given the number of builds I imagine you must have completed, this is a bit of a surprise. What do you do with them if they don't go on your board?

FTFY.

and i don't know but they look pretty

Aleph Null

Having spent the weekend snowed in, I've had plenty of time to arrive at a solution in two parts:

1) I'll rehouse any 1590A stuff that I really want and build in 1590Bs in the future. The 1590A project currently in the fail pail will likely stay there.

2) Zip ties. I've fixed a Mooer Mini DI to the underside of my board. It's accessible, but out of the way—and secure. I drilled holes in the base plate and threaded a couple of zip ties through.

I also drilled holes into the side of my pedal board.

Then I tightened the thing down.

I plan on having the DI always at the end of my chain (duh), so the relative permanence of this solution is a plus.