News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Modular Guitar Pedal Rack with MIDI Switching

Started by BaronWilhelm, December 01, 2016, 01:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaronWilhelm

After building a few pedals, I grew tired of the growing cable mess and never want to spray paint again.  I decided to build a rack unit to house all my pedals in a tidy configuration.  So, I designed a relay switcher board to handle switching with a face mounted momentary switch.  The units are all daisy-chained together as slaves on an I2C bus and can be switched with a single master Arduino (with a PCB shield I designed) via MIDI or USB from a PC.  I thought you guys might be interested in checking it out :)  The link is to the imgur album with descriptions of the build process.

Modular Guitar Pedal Rack with MIDI Switching

Martan

Wow! Great work, and thanks for the walkthrough.

Leevibe

This is fantastic work, man! This is such a cool mix of everything that makes electronics and guitar fun. Bravo.

Timko

Aristatertotle

BaronWilhelm

Thanks guys!  I'd probably do a few things different on the switcher board but not much.  I really appreciate you all taking the time to check it out.

m-Kresol

that's very impressive.

what is the patchbay on the front for? And I think 400mA won't do it with that number of pcbs effects. ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

daleykd

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 01, 2016, 07:47:31 PM
And I think 400mA won't do it with that number of pcbs effects. ;)
I have to agree.  I wonder if the 400mA also includes the relays?  If so, I definitely would think it may not be enough.

BaronWilhelm

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 01, 2016, 07:47:31 PM
what is the patchbay on the front for? And I think 400mA won't do it with that number of pcbs effects. ;)
No it won't :)  I'd never built a power supply before, so this is really just a stop-gap.  I have some bigger transformers to build another linear supply, but am also investigating building my own "quiet"/low-ripple switching supply as my next project.   The patchbay is so I can run the ins/outs of each pedal to the front panel in a re-configurable way.  Right now most of them are just daisy-chained in the rear, but I have my drive pedals on a different chain than the delays.  I had considered mounting the I/O on the pedal faceplates but decided against it to save space and reduce visible cable clutter.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Lubdar

(--c^.^)--c