News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Super low volume on hipster.

Started by danwelsh, April 15, 2013, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi guys, so i just poplulated the hipster and hooked up the jacks and pots, biased it to 4.3 volts and i'm getting super low volume output. I triple checked all my values,orientations, and checked for bridges.I am using 2n3904 transistors, i tried changing the volume pot and that didn't help anything, i reflowed the board and still very low volume output, i'm using a 1m trimmer as I don't have a 25k(would this cause this?...i didn't think it would matter as long as i could dial in the proper voltage), also i'm using a 10n box cap for c5...does anyone know the audio path for this build as i'm going to probe but am not good at figuring out the audio path as yet.

midwayfair

Quote from: danwelsh on April 15, 2013, 05:53:20 PM
Hi guys, so i just poplulated the hipster and hooked up the jacks and pots, biased it to 4.3 volts and i'm getting super low volume output. I triple checked all my values,orientations, and checked for bridges.I am using 2n3904 transistors, i tried changing the volume pot and that didn't help anything, i reflowed the board and still very low volume output, i'm using a 1m trimmer as I don't have a 25k(would this cause this?...i didn't think it would matter as long as i could dial in the proper voltage), also i'm using a 10n box cap for c5...does anyone know the audio path for this build as i'm going to probe but am not good at figuring out the audio path as yet.

Make sure you didn't swap the volume (500K) and fuzz (1K) pots.

Audio path is:
Input cap
Base Q1
Collector Q1
Base Q2
Collector Q2
Output cap
Volume pot 3
Volume pot 2

texasguitar903

I'm having the same problem, using bc550 transistors. I've hooked the pcb up to my breadboard and tried using different pots. Even wiring  the volume 2 and 3 together didn't produce much volume. I did used a 500k pot for the bias since a 50k wouldn't get the voltage down past 7 or so if that makes any difference