News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

clear decals from smallbear

Started by druz15, August 16, 2011, 10:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druz15

so I got some of the clear inkjet decals from smallbear, thinking you could just print on them, peel off the backing and stick the decal/logo/whatever on the pedal but when I got to peeling off the backing it leaves some fuzzy papery crap behind, and now I see on smallbear that you have to
"Print, spray with Krylon, soak off your decal and slide on"
what the hell is krylon and how am I supposed to use these decals?
this is the item I'm talking about
Http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=55
I figured some water could 'soak' the backing away but when I tried on a test print it made most of the ink run and flake away

any help would be greatly appreciated

jkokura

I believe the Krylon is clear coat. You can check over at DIY stompboxes, but there are lots of tutorials and questions about how to do and apply clear decals. I don't use them personally, but perhaps someone here can help you out.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

druz15

ahh cheers, just saw somewhere else also that you need to clearcoat if using inkjet printer
facepalm
thanks man

LaceSensor

sounds like you bought waterslide decals. No experience with them.
You can however get simple peel off decals, essentially stickers.

In either case, you should put some clearcoat (I use spray clear acrylic from an autoshop) otherwise you risk smudging the image. The decals, and inkjet inks themselves, are not water tight by themselves.

Lots of examples of ones I have done on my blog
http://hownotomakeapedal.blogspot.com/

gtr2

Yeah the Kyrlon clear is what you want.  You have to spray the decal with the clearcoat after it prints.  Once the Kyrlon dries then you can immerse it in water.  If you don't clearcoat the ink runs when it hits the water.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

druz15

wow so these slide decals are damn hard to use.
Fluffed up several ones, ended up doing the pedal name with a sharpie.
the film decal is very flimsy and easy to scrunch up or fold over, and larger bits leave lots of white residue crap that's hard to get off without damaging the decal further, might just stick to clear stickers next time, what's a good brand and supplier?

gtr2

Yes, there is an art to the waterslides.  They are easy to mess up, but once you get past the learning curve they aren't to bad.  I'm pretty good at it but I still print of a couple duplicates because I usually flub one up at some point.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

Quote from: druz15 on August 17, 2011, 10:19:23 AM
wow so these slide decals are damn hard to use.
Fluffed up several ones, ended up doing the pedal name with a sharpie.
the film decal is very flimsy and easy to scrunch up or fold over, and larger bits leave lots of white residue crap that's hard to get off without damaging the decal further, might just stick to clear stickers next time, what's a good brand and supplier?

They do take a couple of tries while learning to apply. About the "white residue" with all the slides I've ever used there is a sheet of very thin paper protecting the decal itself. I'm not sure if that's your problem or if the smallbear stuff even has that, but it might be something your having problems with.
Pcbs no longer available

druz15

can't be stuffed with these waterslides, too damn fiddly for my liking, wheres a good place to get the sticker decals from? Nowhere locally seems to sell anything like that, although the art shop might

jkokura

Try a sign making shop. I get my decals printed on what are essentially clear vinyl stickers. Call a shop up and see if they can help you out.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

druz15

hmm found some online for pretty expensive. What about printing on OHP transparencies and just pasting it down, clear spraying over the top?

irmcdermott

Quote from: druz15 on August 29, 2011, 05:46:17 AM
hmm found some online for pretty expensive. What about printing on OHP transparencies and just pasting it down, clear spraying over the top?

here's a tutorial for that method.

druz15

wow cheers man definitely gonna try that with my next batch, have bid on some clear stickers from ebay, if I don't win those I'll go the OHP route.