News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pro Tip: Drilling Aluminum Enclosures

Started by rullywowr, July 27, 2016, 05:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Quote from: mrclean77 on August 01, 2016, 11:25:12 AM
Anybody: What if you used the iso AFTER powdercoat? How bad would you goober up the coat??? TIA

I think it should be fine. Isopropanol is basically desinfectant, so it's not really aggressive. However, I'd try it with a little bit on a backplate first, just to make sure, as it will depend on the powder/brand/backing temperature. As long as you just add a little bit for drilling you'll most likely be fine anyhow.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

wgc

Isopropyl and cured powdercoat is no problem. I use it to clean the finish after laser etching.

Acetone and powdercoat?  Not a great idea unless you want to remove the powdercoat in a very frustrating way.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

lincolnic

Quote from: wgc on August 02, 2016, 01:01:15 AM
Isopropyl and cured powdercoat is no problem. I use it to clean the finish after laser etching.

Yep, I can second that it's fine. I sometimes use it to redo lettering if I'm labeling controls with a paint marker.

mrclean77

Quote from: wgc on August 02, 2016, 01:01:15 AM

Acetone and powdercoat?  Not a great idea unless you want to remove the powdercoat in a very frustrating way.

Thanks for all the answers, but this was my fave  ;D