Total Recall - Working but a few questions and observations (FIXED !!!)

Started by cleaninglady, July 03, 2016, 04:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleaninglady

Thanks Brian for your help with the power. :)

It's working now but there are a few things...These are just observations in the hope it will help others if i can get them sorted with the help of the Forum.

I really like the pedal ; it has a life of it's own in some ways , which is great.

* Blend Pot - (using a Linear haven't changed out for Audio taper yet) , the delay signal only kicks in in the last couple of mm near fully CW travel of the pot. Before that it's a boosted version of the input signal and at extreme CCW it sort of cuts out.

* Level - The input signal is turning moving into overdrive / distortion very early in the pot travel. Eventually it overloads the circuit and everything sort of stops.

*Mod - Just doesn't seem to have much effect in either switch setting or when moving the pot.

*Delay - Is working fine.

*Feedback - Highly dependent on the calibration settings but works fine.

I'm mainly using the pedal for synths. I'm wondering whether my Level problem might be because of that.
Maybe i need to do the R2 220K change ?

I'm really not sure how well i calibrated everything and maybe these problems are a direct result of that , hopefully we can thrash it out here.

lincolnic

While synths definitely put out more level than guitars, your biasing might also be off, specifically on the gain trims. The instructions in the build doc for setting Gain 2 are actually wrong (I've mentioned this to Brian but it hasn't been updated yet). You want to set it so that the level is the same at pins 7 and 14 (or 15) of the NE570. I had a similar problem with my builds until I got that sorted, though I've only used them with guitar.

cleaninglady

Thanks , lincolnic !

Also , bizarrely , the inputs and outputs seem only to work if wired opposite to the schematic and build instructions.

When i noticed this and rewired Tip to Tip pads and Sleeve to Sleeve pad at J1 and J2 : nothing.

Do you think a blown 4558 could be the problem with that behaviour ?

I'll get back to it and have another look.

cleaninglady

All working now once i got my head around the power situation. ;D

Chorus and Vibrato Effect is now noticeable and quite good.

The delay and feedback relationship is really nice and the pedal has a sort of life of it's own.

Really glad i kept on with this.

Thanks heaps for your help and thanks to Brian for the PCB's

darrenw6000

So the inputs and outputs are reversed at J1 & J2 just by the BLEND pot?