News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The BB Gun

Started by edy_wheazel, June 07, 2016, 07:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edy_wheazel

This is one of my early builds. It's a BB Preamp and a JHS Minibomb in one box. They can be used separately or together.

matmosphere

"You'll shot yr eye out kid!"

Nice build

Timko

Nice etch there (both the enclosure and the board).

stringsthings

Very nice.  That is an excellent etch!
All You Need Is Love

gordo

Holy crap, what a cool looking build.  I like the monochrome finish.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

edy_wheazel

Martan

Great looking pedal! Thanks for the pictorial link. Could you explain a bit more? Are those water slides for the toner? Is that modeling clay to hold the etchant? Ferric chloride? How are you cleaning out the etched areas?

Really great stuff! Thanks,

Marty

edy_wheazel

Quote from: Martan on June 08, 2016, 12:55:33 AM
Great looking pedal! Thanks for the pictorial link. Could you explain a bit more? Are those water slides for the toner? Is that modeling clay to hold the etchant? Ferric chloride? How are you cleaning out the etched areas?

Marty

It's not water slide, it's a cheap (around 2$) adsesive paper used in constructions to protect surfaces. You can see it in the 4'th photo.
  Not exactly modeling clay, it's actualy my kid's play dough :)
  Yes, I used second/third/fourth hand ferric chloride. It's the chloride i used to etch PCB's.
  Cleaning out the etched areas is kind of tricky, don't actualy have a good method for that. I use ordinary kitchen stuff and/or 1000/2000 sand paper.

It's the cheapest method around, i used ordenary household items and used (actually overused) ferric chloride. If you draw the design by hand you don't even need a printer.

jtaormina

Quote from: edy_wheazel on June 08, 2016, 01:26:39 AM
Quote from: Martan on June 08, 2016, 12:55:33 AM

Marty

It's not water slide, it's a cheap (around 2$) adsesive paper used in constructions to protect surfaces. You can see it in the 4'th photo.
  Not exactly modeling clay, it's actualy my kid's play dough :)
  Yes, I used second/third/fourth hand ferric chloride. It's the chloride i used to etch PCB's.
  Cleaning out the etched areas is kind of tricky, don't actualy have a good method for that. I use ordinary kitchen stuff and/or 1000/2000 sand paper.

It's the cheapest method around, i used ordenary household items and used (actually overused) ferric chloride. If you draw the design by hand you don't even need a printer.

Did you heat the ferric chloride at all? How long did it sit in the chloride?

edy_wheazel

Quote from: jtaormina on June 08, 2016, 01:37:51 AM
Did you heat the ferric chloride at all? How long did it sit in the chloride?

No heat at all. Concentrated (or heated) Fe2Cl3 has a nasty reaction in contact with the aluminum, this is why i use overused Fe2Cl3. I don't have an exact recipe, but the reaction must be slow. If it starts bubbling slowly after a few seconds, i'm on the right track. Let it etch for 2-3 minutes, pour out the Fe2Cl3, check the depth of the etching and the integrity of the adhsesive paper. Pour "fresh" Fe2Cl3 inside and let it etch for another 2-3 minutes. Depending on the design and the concentration of the Fe2Cl3 i do that 2-3 times.
As i said, not an exact recipe, you need to experiment this. You may use another etchant, like NaOH, but after an accident involving my wife's shoes i'm banned for using that. :)

galaxiex

Really cool pedal and etches!  8)

How did you get such a clean etch on the board?
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

edy_wheazel

Quote from: galaxiex on June 08, 2016, 02:47:14 AM
Really cool pedal and etches!  8)

Thanks!

QuoteHow did you get such a clean etch on the board?

Cheap photo paper and laser printer.