News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wait....a phase 99

Started by jimilee, May 31, 2016, 06:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

How did this get past me and why is there not a diy version???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

Is that the CMOS one that was in the Commande series? I don't think it's particularly highly regarded... although that might just be because no one seemed to like that series in general.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

I don't know, it's  a "custom" series.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Scruffie

I was thinking of the phase 101, my bad.

So it's 2 phase 90s glued together? You know what to do...
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Quote from: Scruffie on May 31, 2016, 07:09:25 PM
I was thinking of the phase 101, my bad.

So it's 2 phase 90s glued together? You know what to do...
No no, it's so much more....or, I need it to be.

thesmokingman

the vintage switch wouldn't be hard to do(just need to make sure it switches both circuits or you have two toggles), nor would the parallel/series switch and output jack(well documented) ... and the synch switch would just mean you need a dual gang pot on the first phase and a 3pdt on/on switch to toggle between the unused gang on the first phase and the pot on the second phase. so find 2 phase 90 pcbs with a vintage switch and hack in the other switching/pot(s)

after reading the owner's manual there's two internal switches, sw6 will let you toggle the parallel output between the second output jack and a summed output on jack 1 ... that might be tricky(potential phase cancellation) and they don't say what switch 5 does other than it needs to be "up" ... so now I'd want a schematic.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

jimilee

aion

Quote from: thesmokingman on May 31, 2016, 08:55:37 PM
the synch switch would just mean you need a dual gang pot on the first phase and a 3pdt on/on switch to toggle between the unused gang on the first phase and the pot on the second phase.

Wouldn't you need to instead use a switch so that Phaser B takes its LFO from Phaser A? It won't actually be synced otherwise - if there are two LFOs controlled by the same pot then they will definitely drift from each other over time due to tolerance differences in the two wafers. A heck of a lot simpler too, assuming the LFO output is strong enough to drive two phasers.

jimilee

Quick, somebody make it happen. This is now getting exciting.

thesmokingman

true and that's bound to be how they work it plus my proposed method wouldn't work well just taking into consideration that there's a potential stacked tolerance between the two gangs of a pot that would stand in the way of it synching up regardless of the lfo. sober thinking has its benefits.

jimilee

samhay

This does look pretty neat if you are using a stereo rig.

If you were going to do a new layout, you could do away with the 2nd input buffer and re-appropriate the op-amp to buffer and/or monkey around with the LFO...

Anybody know what the vintage switch does? Switches in/out regen maybe?

thesmokingman

one assumes its the popular block/script mod for the phase 90 put on a switch

samhay

There are a number of mods, which won't all fit on a switch, but I'm guessing that in the phase 99 a DPST is switching in/out the feedback resistor on each side.

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Schematics-etc/MXR_Phase_90_to_Script.gif