News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Strontium Screamer - TS808

Started by m-Kresol, May 28, 2016, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

A friend of mine wanted to do SMD, so I designed a TS808 pcb in SMD for 1590A. It turned out pretty good, the only thing I miscalculated was how little space there is in 1590A's. Now I remember why I've only built one so far ;). I designed the pcb for board mounted pots, but should have turned the top row around so they are under the pcb to gain some space. worked out in the end, but it was a very tight squeeze with the Lumen; a 3PDT would probably be easier to do (the last picture was taken during wiring to show how close it actually is).

Anyways, the design is a stock TS808 basically copied from Brian's 'Green Bean' project. I've added extra diode pads, so one could use symmetric, asymmetric Si or Ge diodes if preferred. I went with the stock 1n914 symmetrical option. The updated pcb is shared on oshpark with a linked build doc if anyone is interested; also I corrected a mistake of v1.0 which had a wrong transistor pinout, so I had to flip them for my build.

Reverse etch with metallic green. Lower part has a blue flip-flop on top with a gradient towards the lower end. It's hard to capture on photos, but it actually changes colours depending on the angle you look at it. The graphics are partially taken from the schematic. don't try to build it going from the exterior graphics though :p

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

galaxiex

Holy Crap!
You guys and your tiny pedals are crazy!  ;)

(I mean that in a good way)  :)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

alanp

Live and learn :) it turned out good, which is the main thing!

For 1590A, I'd only bother with PCB mount pots for circuits that you can fit entirely on top of the pot, like SHO boosts and bazz fusses and the like.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

BrianS

Your build graphics are always very interesting and nice looking. Awesome job.

m-Kresol

thanks!

Quote from: alanp on May 28, 2016, 06:41:39 PM
For 1590A, I'd only bother with PCB mount pots for circuits that you can fit entirely on top of the pot, like SHO boosts and bazz fusses and the like.

After I started boxing I was on holiday at my parents and I felt like redoing that part of the pcb and rotating the pots. It ended up screwing up the whole thing so I couldn't be bothered with it after all.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

chuckbuick

Looks great, Felix.  Nice PCB layout, too.

matmosphere

Looks great, really dig the etch.

Orbis_Ignis

looks great man! love the etch! I really need to try SMD stuff

wgc

No wonder my spidey sense was tingling.  Smd and 1590a.   Nice job!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings