News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Metal Muff Power issues

Started by PhiloB, June 09, 2014, 03:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Runs off a battery.  Won't run off the 9v adapter.  I replaced the dc jack.  Still same issue.  Does the battery bypass the protection diode? I was assuming the diode was fine as the pedal works with a battery.  Any ideas?

PhiloB

There is a lot of repots of this issue but no solution on the interwebz. 

wgc

Do a continuity check on the traces from the dc jack.  Pcb mounted jacks like that one can create a bit of leverage, making it easy to fatigue a trace or thru hole.

Just a guess here, but if that's the problem you can probably fix it with some wire jumpers.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

PhiloB

Sounds logical.  Thanks wgc, I'll give it shot late tonight!

PhiloB

Wgc, it was a broken trace.  Good call.  I assumed it was an issue with the 9v positive side.  It was actually the ground trace so I jumped it to the ground of the battery.  There was probably a closer connection to be made but figured this would be the most secure spots given the surface mount stuff on the top.  Thanks again bro!

wgc

Awesome!  Glad to help out, nice job on the fix
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Likez2jam

Hey I didn't want to start a whole new post about the same pedal, since you both seem to be experts. My Metal Muff is having a problem with volume cutting in and out. The distortion and drive effects seem to be working fine but it will bounce between very faint to ridiculously loud in the course of sending bent notes or hard chord strumming through the input. I've tried changing my guitar signal by turning the volume knob up or down but it seems to have no effect on the changes.  Is this something to do with the ground or input wires corroding? This is a 2005 model of the pedal. It's components look very similar to the ones you posted. Any help would be appreciated!
I'm new. Bare with me.

stecykmi

sounds like a mechanical failure near the output section, check the output volume pot to make sure it hasnt failed. then check the solder joints around the jack.

jimilee

Quote from: PhiloB on June 09, 2014, 03:48:56 AM
Runs off a battery.  Won't run off the 9v adapter.  I replaced the dc jack.  Still same issue.  Does the battery bypass the protection diode? I was assuming the diode was fine as the pedal works with a battery.  Any ideas?
Nice job figuring it out. Watching your evolution from your start to now is astounding. Anyway /derail.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.