News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Custom vintage knobs

Started by lars, May 16, 2016, 06:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I really like the look of vintage clear knobs on guitars and effects, but I haven't found any company that manufactures reissues. When you do find an original, they're about $25 or more a pop...not cost effective. The closest thing are the various amber tinted "bell" and "speed" knobs that are available, but they always have numbers on them.
I found that if you use brake cleaner on a typical speed knob, you can easily remove the paint and numbering without scratching it up. Then, I poured some polyurethane into the underside gaps to make it into a solid piece. This gave them a vintage yellowed tint, like a clear knob that's been around for 50+ years. I think these look great on any vintage-themed equipment. Here are the results:

jimilee

There's a member here that does, but I forget whom it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Govmnt_Lacky

Not for nothing but Tayda carries the clear speed knobs with numbering.

lars

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 16, 2016, 07:01:06 PM
Not for nothing but Tayda carries the clear speed knobs with numbering.
Those would work great for this process. Just wipe off the numbers with some brake cleaner, then pour some polyurethane in to fill the gaps. I'm guessing envirotex would work as well for a filler, or any kind of resin for that matter.

davent

Those look really sharp, thanks for sharing.

Quote from: jimilee on May 16, 2016, 06:37:19 PM
There's a member here that does, but I forget whom it is.

Maybe this guy, not sure what his current state of affairs is.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/sprcustom/sold

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

thesmokingman

src effects but they're expensive
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

rullywowr

I like your approach with the knobs.  The label reminds me of an old-school industrial plate on a AC motor/pump or similar.  Excellent!

FWIW, Sean @ SRC Effects makes great custom knobs and is a cool cat to deal with.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

davent

The src effects website is gone and as far as i know he was selling knobs through the esty site i linked but even that site has nothing currently for sale.

Contact on this page
http://seanryancustom.bigcartel.com/products

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

thesameage