News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

So, I've ordered parts but I can't remember what I needed them for...

Started by Willybomb, May 22, 2016, 08:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

I did a Tayda order a couple of weeks ago, putting some 2n3904 in the cart for a project, getting a few extra thinking I'd use them down the track.

Now, I have no idea what I got them for...

dan.schumaker

I love when that happens  :o

I think that its just step one in realizing you have a problem  ;D

jtaormina

I did that with a smallbear order for some 9mm pots. For the life of me i don't know what I was going to use them on. I think I must had added them to the cart twice by mistake.

EBRAddict

With Mouser you can enter a user part number for each line item. Any other vendor I write the purpose on the baggie with a permanent marker.

When I get an order in I pull parts and put them in a large ziploc for individual projects so they don't get moved to "general population". This really helps me with pots... I used to visually inspect my stash but forget I'd already allocated them for another project. I somehow wound up with three builds needing a C500K and only one to go around.

culturejam

Quote from: EBRAddict on May 22, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
Any other vendor I write the purpose on the baggie with a permanent marker.

That only helps if you can remember what you bought the stuff before after it arrives. :)

I sometimes order stuff and then forget what it is for by the time the package is on my doorstep. Sometimes I can use deductive reasoning to figure out what it "must" have been for, but other times it remains a mystery. What can I say, I have a crap memory and life is really busy right now.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stringsthings

Quote from: EBRAddict on May 22, 2016, 12:51:24 PM
With Mouser you can enter a user part number for each line item.

Mouser is really handy with this feature.  It marks each part bag with whatever you want.  And since Mouser carries many obscure parts, it's really useful to look at the bag and see what project the component is for.   
All You Need Is Love

davent

Digikey also has the 'label your part' option which is really handy as my carts will build for months before placing the order. Don't know how many items i've deleted from an order just before placing, deleted because i can't remember why they're in the cart. Of course you remember why they were in the cart, only when you're opening up the delivery.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Willybomb