News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Crazy idea for UV light box

Started by jubal81, July 25, 2012, 05:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I hate the iron so I was researching DIY UV light boxes for exposing PCBs when I came across these fingernail driers (yes really. Like in a beauty shop). These can be had for less than $30 and come with built-in timers.
Any reason this wouldn't work?

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

madbean

I've never done UV exposure on PCBs but if it works then that's genius.

angrykoko

That's a good idea, I wonder if it's too much UV though (if there is such a thing with exposing these)?

I'm just exposing mine using regular fluorescent lights for 5 - 6 minutes and it works great.

I had thought about using an old fish tank fluorescent hood and just adding one of those alternate colored tubes (like the "natural sunlight" one) to see if that did anything but, seeing as regular tubes are doing the trick currently, it's been low priority.

I wonder if those nail dryers could be had on craigslist for under $10.00?

Cool idea.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jubal81

I hadn't thought of a fish tank hood. That's a pretty great idea, too.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

It's actually not that important what kind of light you use. Sunlight works just fine, actually.

I know there is a requirement that some of the light be within a certain wavelength, but it seems that this particular wavelength is included in damn near any light source.

I used a cheap home depot "work light" for a while, then I used a small battery-powered fluorescent.

So yeah, I think the product you linked will work fine. But just in case, see if you can find the light output specs on it, and compare to the specs on the UV boards you plan to use.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects