News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moodring

Started by funbaba, May 07, 2016, 02:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funbaba

Just got in my PCBs and put together the Mood ring. I drilled my enclosure a few days ago, so it went together rather quickly. My pots aren't lined up very straight, one day I'll get a drill press to make them better.

I went with the buffered bypass setup and included the green LED in D2.

I thought I had all the resistors and caps on hand, but of course wound up missing a few. The resistors I wired two in series to get the values I needed, but I was missing a 10pf cap. RadioShack had a ceramic grab bag and I think I used the right value, but there was no index on the package to tell me for sure. The cap is socketed, labeled "10", does this sound correct?

Aside from that, the only real snag I ran into was the orientation of D1. Shouldn't the square pad be on the opposite side of the stripe? This caused me to doubt all the LEDs, wondering if I had those backwards, but thankfully I was able to figure it out by referencing the schematic and the PCB trace guide to verify I had it all correct. Props for the excellent documentation. 

I labeled the controls temporarily, using
D=delay time, FB=feedback, T=tone, M=mix.
The mix/ring knob seems to increase delay time and feedback as well, or maybe it just makes the effect more obvious. It sounds wonderful on guitar, though I intended to use it primarily for a drum machine. But I think the delay of the effect may make it better suited for guitar.

Putting together the Total Recall tomorrow. Hope it goes as well as this did!

jimilee

Kudos man, looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Boba7

Nice build!

Do you notice a change in tone with the buffered bypass? I'm still hesitating for my future build.

funbaba

Thanks!

I didn't even try true bypass. I usually prefer buffered pedals. I'd say go for it, it looks like it wouldn't be difficult to test both options, or to permanently change from one to the other

funbaba

One interesting feature to note: all three clipping LEDs will light up with dynamic playing, but it requires very loud volume. With a line level signal this was a lot easier than guitar. So it would be possible to wire those lights up externally and create a little light show

stringsthings

Very nice.  I think I'll have to add this on the future-build list.
All You Need Is Love