Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual Humbucker Solidbody Guitars

Started by jkokura, October 16, 2014, 02:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Quote from: jkokura on October 16, 2014, 05:50:40 PM
Quote from: rullywowr on October 16, 2014, 05:34:28 PM
Sounds like your mind is made up (bolt on neck, two knob config, light weight). Why not just get a parts strat and a HH pick guard and call it a day.  Or maybe a Ibanez or Pacer type of shredder?  My Pacer is lots of fun to play and was under 300 usd. Some dimarzios and it's a beast.

Mostly I started this thread as a discussion on what we all do/don't like in H/H guitars, and thus far it's been super fruitful because I've learned about a half dozen guitars I never thought of.

Jacob

That's awesome.  Nothin like the old interwebz to expand your horizons. Best of luck in the neverending search, I'm sure you will find a gem.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

alanp

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/vintage-icon-v100-25573

I've got a tobacco-burst Vintage V100. Damn good guitar, IMO -- bought it since a guy in Auckland who is very, very attached to his Gibson LP spoke *very* favourably of his Peter Green Vintage LP.

Put it this way -- the guy who buys stock for the Rock Shop NZ said that they were only going to stock the relic'ed ones, since he felt that if they brought in the nicely finished models, he'd have too much trouble shifting Epiphone stock! All the parts are sorted by Trevor Wilkinson, if that means anything to you lot.

As for weight -- I'm happy with my metal body tricone, don't mind the LP at all, never owned a traditional acoustic at all so I'm not really used to anything lighter than a stratocaster.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

timbo_93631

Doug Kauer has already been mentioned, and he is a great guy making great guitars, but his shared-shop competition/amigo is Paul Rhoney who also makes fantastic guitars.  https://paulrhoneyguitars.squarespace.com/  A number of his Oceanas are dual HB, V+T control guitars.  If you wanted to do something cool on the cheap you could get an Epi Wilshire and cut a V+T guard.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

pickdropper

Quote from: timbo_93631 on October 16, 2014, 06:22:10 PM
Doug Kauer has already been mentioned, and he is a great guy making great guitars, but his shared-shop competition/amigo is Paul Rhoney who also makes fantastic guitars.  https://paulrhoneyguitars.squarespace.com/  A number of his Oceanas are dual HB, V+T control guitars.  If you wanted to do something cool on the cheap you could get an Epi Wilshire and cut a V+T guard.

Those look really nice.  Does the hard edge on the top bother you when you are playing?  That kind of bothered me a bit on the new PRS S2 guitars even though it doesn't as much on Telecasters.  I'm not sure why.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

irmcdermott

I'll be another one to mention Reverend. I've sold all my guitars and replaced them with Revs. Only Non-Reverend I have is my '79 Kramer DMZ-2000 (aluminum neck era).

Anyway, I love Reverends, so any of their bolt on series HB models would definitely get a look from me. Next bolt on purchase for me will be a Charger HB. You can even search and look for their discontinued Roundhouse model, which was very much a LP.

culturejam

How about a Fender Pawn Shop '72? Dual buckers, bolt-neck, lighter than a Les Paul, and single volume/tone:

Quote from: pickdropper on October 16, 2014, 05:16:14 PM
Les Paul's can indeed be heavy.  Many of the 70's ones were particularly heavy because of the laminate bodies.  The newer ones are still heavy, but not usually THAT heavy.  Some of the 70s's LPs were bowling ball weights.

QFT.

My coworker's 78 Standard is the heaviest guitar I've ever played. It's about 12 pounds, no joke. What was really funny was swapping between that and Squier Bullet Strat.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

My two. First is a custom job by Wez Venebles. Mahogany bodied superstrat/SG hybrid thing.

Second is my pawn shop Mustang bargain which will be getting a Toronado bridge shortly.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

Both of those are awesome Juan, but I like that Black custom job most.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Morgan

Quote from: culturejam on October 16, 2014, 03:55:16 AM
Jacob,

Do you not like the look of 4-knob guitars, or do you not jive with 4 controls? If it's the latter, you could rewire a LP or SG (or whatever) so it's master volume and master tone and the other two are just mounted but not functional. I've seen more than a few guys do that.
I like SGs and tele wiring is the only way I can stand, so I do that too. The controls are still way in the wrong place though. Gibson hates people efficiently twiddling their knobs!

Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

Willybomb

Necro thread revival. 

Don't know how I missed this thread, but here's my custom Agile, Hulksnot.  It now has a Tonezone in the bridge, and still has a 59 in the neck.

The Attention Whore.  Tonezone and Air Norton.

The Lesocaster.  Super Distortion (bridge) and Humbucker From Hell (neck).