News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Good source for wire, preferably PTFE or similar.

Started by jball85, April 24, 2016, 07:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jball85

I'm looking for a good economical source of shielded copper wire with a Teflon or other type of jacket that can take solder heat with out melting or shrinking back ( without leaving exposed wire after soldering a connection to a board, pots, etc). Non shielded wire is fine too I'm in the market for both. 20-24 AWG (22 AWG preferred).

Does anyone know of a great source to get this wire or something similar by the foot, rather than buying an entire spool at a time?

davent

Apex Jr, has loads of PTFE & i believe that includes shielded. Web site scratches the surface need to phone and confim.

http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html

I bought shielded from this guy on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/Johns-Silver-Plated-PTFE-Wire-Shop/Shielded-Wire-Coax-/_i.html?_fsub=3966787&_sid=155009&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jball85

Yeah it's looking like Ebay might be the best choice at the moment. Usually I would hunt this stuff down myself. However, unlike other pedal/amp components, finding the right wire at a decent price proves to be quite an online shopping challenge.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBRAddict

Is the PTFE for the cool factor? I used a lot of it in a college job building outdoor enclosures where heat tolerance and abrasion resistance were necessary. We went through 100 ft spools frequently. It doesn't hold shape very well, but it is nice and shiny.

davent

Quote from: jball85 on April 24, 2016, 07:27:50 PM
I'm looking for a good economical source of shielded copper wire with a Teflon or other type of jacket that can take solder heat with out melting or shrinking back ( without leaving exposed wire after soldering a connection to a board, pots, etc). Non shielded wire is fine too I'm in the market for both. 20-24 AWG (22 AWG preferred).

Does anyone know of a great source to get this wire or something similar by the foot, rather than buying an entire spool at a time?

This is Teflon/Kapton (registered trade marks that can't be used anymore by others) from the link above. To terminate the shield i just strip the shield, wrap a wire around the shield, solder then snip off the excess shield and heatshrink. I think his is 26awg, outside diameter ~1.5mm.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jball85

Quote from: EBRAddict on April 25, 2016, 09:37:50 PM
Is the PTFE for the cool factor? I used a lot of it in a college job building outdoor enclosures where heat tolerance and abrasion resistance were necessary. We went through 100 ft spools frequently. It doesn't hold shape very well, but it is nice and shiny.

Not for the cool factor, but as you mentioned the heat tolerance. I'm thoroughly sick of the jackets on my lead wires heating up and shrinking back, leaving exposed wire. If anyone knows of a better choice in wire that will hold it's shape and has a good heat resistance then let me know.

I should also add that I use a lot of strain relieving (bending at acute angles) in my builds so if PTFE isn't malleable it might not be the best choice for me.

Tuxedo3

Tayda has some really reasonably priced wire if you are going to place an order from there anytime soon. That's where I buy all my components.