News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is there such a thing as...

Started by Guybrush, April 18, 2016, 02:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

... an envelope controlled overdrive/distortion?

I have a 'need' for a pedal that when played softly is clean but distorts the harder I play. I know a good overdrive pedal will naturally growl more the harder you dig in but I am after something a little more extreme that works like an envelope filter. i.e The distortion blooms and fades with the attack. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!

playpunk

Bionix expandadora is what you are looking for. Codtone and jmk have pcb's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

drolo

I think Boss came out with something like this a couple of years ago but can't remember which one.

Otherwise you could use some kind of envelope follower (like the follower in the Dr Q for example) and make it control an LDR that increases gain as the input signal gets louder.

Guybrush

Quote from: playpunk on April 18, 2016, 02:42:59 PM

Ahh thank you. I will check this out. I thought the Expandora was 'just' an overdrive/cruch/distortion though. Does it have envelope qualities too?

Quote from: drolo on April 19, 2016, 09:25:09 AM
I think Boss came out with something like this a couple of years ago but can't remember which one.
Otherwise you could use some kind of envelope follower (like the follower in the Dr Q for example) and make it control an LDR that increases gain as the input signal gets louder.

Yes! This is what I think I am after. You make it sound so easy! Haha. In your much more informed opinion than mine, is this something that would be possible?

I think the Boss pedal is the Dyna Comp. The descriptions sound like what I'm looking for but it's digital so no chance of a DIY version unfortunately.

Thanks

Boba7

I think there's a Mid-Fi overdrive that's envelope controlled. Great pedals!

playpunk

Quote from: Guybrush on April 19, 2016, 09:54:29 AM
Quote from: playpunk on April 18, 2016, 02:42:59 PM

Ahh thank you. I will check this out. I thought the Expandora was 'just' an overdrive/cruch/distortion though. Does it have envelope qualities too?

My understanding is that the expandora reacts to picking dynamics as you described in your first post.

It has an optical section that acts like a reverse compressor. The harder you attack the strings the more distortions you get. The jhs kilt is a "modded" expandora and there are a bunch of demos of it on the tube of yous.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

Guybrush

Thanks for the replys guys. I shall check the pedals out.

Still no sign of a DIYable circuit though. I'll keep looking!

Thanks again.

Guybrush

Sorry, I meant no DIYable circuits (other than the Expandora). I'll definitely be giving this one a try.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk