News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zombii after a buffered pedal

Started by Jamiroking, April 19, 2011, 08:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiroking

The zombii seems to really suffer if its placed in the chain after a buffer but at the same time, a lot of pitch shifter effects (mine is the PS-5) track a million times better when they're first in line. I've read a few people online talking about a mod they could do to their fuzz factory to make it work like normal even when behind a buffered pedal. Does anyone know what this mod might be? If possible, I think I'd like to build it in with a toggle switch so I could choose based on the situation I'm using the pedal.

gtr2

Running a compressor in front of a pitch shifter effect can help them track better if they are not "1st in line"  I'm unfamiliar with the fuzz factory mod, but it probably modifies the input impedance.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

irmcdermott

Zak Vex will tell you that it needs to be the first pedal in your chain. I know this because someone I know emailed him about it and that was his response.

Not sure on the mod.

jtn191

Would it just be a matter of raising the value of the input resistor to make up for a lower impedance?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Interesting. I'd like to see this mod also for the zombii board I have. Maybe Bean has something about it in his big basket of beans!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

greyscales

I have had the same problem with putting a Fuzz Factory behind a Boss tuner and a Whammy pedal. It certainly works behind them, but sound nothing like it does before them.

My Whammy doesn't seem to suffer from being behind the FF, but I suppose that doesn't help solve your problem.

stecykmi

i can't remember where i saw it, but i saw some diy folks playing around with small audio transformers to play around with input impedances for certain effects.

neutronarmy

http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

Wiring an audio transformer as an inductor. I've never done it myself, but the idea gets thrown around often.

LaceSensor

would something like the push / relax knob off the mastotron work?
That changes the input inpedance unless I am mistaken...

Jamiroking

The push/relax knob sounds interesting. Even if it doesn't work with the zombii, I'm building a sabertooth right now and would love to learn more so I could include it.

LaceSensor

See attachment for push/relax knob wiring.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jamiroking

Quotewould something like the push / relax knob off the mastotron work?
That changes the input inpedance unless I am mistaken...

The more I thought about it, the less hope I have...

By adding input impedance with the relax/push knob, we may be able to simulate a hi-imp signal but will it clean up with the volume knob on your guitar? I feel like it still won't respond as it was meant to first in line because the impedance is not coming from the guitar.

Am I wrong about this?

LaceSensor

no harm to try but its up to you.