News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Battery problems

Started by d13design, February 09, 2016, 09:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d13design

Hi All.

I'm still fairly new to this DIY pedal addiction (and even newer to understanding what all the components do inside a pedal) so it may be a simple issue but I've just finished up a GT-OD/ZW-44 clone on vero and I'm getting some weird results when using it.

I'm only using batteries at the moment and have 2 different ones. A slightly cheaper one measuring at 9.2v works perfectly but a more expensive, long-life battery that currently runs at 9.6v causes the pedal to work like a noise gate until the guitar single is really strong then it gives an awful bit-crush type of effect.

Took me ages to work out that was the cause of the problem as I first thought it would be some kind of short once it was boxed up but it just happened to be the battery I was using on my test box was different to the one on my pedal.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Thanks guys.

Dave.

jtaormina

I'd scrap using batteries. First off it will die when you need it most. Second they take up far too much room.

how does it sound from a DC brick or wallwart power supply?

d13design

Well finally got to the bottom of this and it was nothing to do with the power supply ...

... I failed to check the data sheet for the transistors carefully enough and stuck them all in backwards - once again proving, if proof were needed, that I'm a bit of a moron.

Dave.