News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Warhead Vibe in a 125BB

Started by JakeFuzz, July 10, 2011, 08:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Finally, after weeks of de-soldering parts and making up a new power supply, the elusive hum turned out to be a shorting guitar cable, its times like this we need a face palm smiley (insert face palm smiley here).

Anyways, definitely not my best wiring job, things got all twisted and tangled on the way back in. The color is silver vein from PPP. I don't have a light shield yet but it sounds really epic without one right now; I may just leave it be. I haven't had time to get into the machine shop but I am going to mill a big ass custom speed knob (48mm diameter!) then maybe anodize it black. For now the standard rat shack knob serves as a placeholder. Runs off of a parallel spliced 24 volt laptop transformer that I adapted to 2.1mm (will later also power the Dirtbag).  

Different light tuning sounds really different and it is hard to settle on one sound. I know that I like this effect before an overdrive as opposed to after. When it is later in the chain it sounds too "wooshy". I like it when the lower bound is still slightly lit, very subtle but superb watery tones (ala Breathe). Demo hopefully soon. Thanks to Haberdasher for the board, top quality!

JeffdaMaori

Sublime.... just getting parts together to build one too, this is inspiring and wicked work, Paul!
I'm sure it sounds killa....:o

cjkbug

sweet looking build Paul. those things sound awesome.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

nzCdog

night-B

Looking at this one, it seems you needed lots of hours to complete it.
Good job!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: night-B on July 11, 2011, 07:59:54 AM
Good job!

Haha you probably wont put that many hours into it; I am just a moron and made a few dumb mistakes that took a while to troubleshoot. It does have a pretty high parts count. Definitely rewarding to see it fire up for the first time and that sound is so classic, I pretty much left it on the whole time I played today.

The biggest recommendation that I can make (and cjkbug will corroborate with me on this one) is to get at least a 1590C enclosure. This is a 125BB which is like 0.2 inches taller than a 1590BB and everything is uncomfortably close to or slightly pushing on adjacent parts. It would have been much easier with a deeper or wider enclosure.

FuzzMonkey

bigmufffuzzwizz

I can't believe I missed this! I love it Paul. I gotta come check it out... 8)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

cjkbug

Quote from: JakeFuzz on July 11, 2011, 08:19:04 AM
Quote from: night-B on July 11, 2011, 07:59:54 AM
Good job!

Haha you probably wont put that many hours into it; I am just a moron and made a few dumb mistakes that took a while to troubleshoot. It does have a pretty high parts count. Definitely rewarding to see it fire up for the first time and that sound is so classic, I pretty much left it on the whole time I played today.

The biggest recommendation that I can make (and cjkbug will corroborate with me on this one) is to get at least a 1590C enclosure. This is a 125BB which is like 0.2 inches taller than a 1590BB and everything is uncomfortably close to or slightly pushing on adjacent parts. It would have been much easier with a deeper or wider enclosure.
+1 most definately
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 15, 2011, 05:21:45 PM
I can't believe I missed this! I love it Paul. I gotta come check it out... 8)

Hellz yeah. I cant wait to get back to town. Been about 3 days away from my amp and pedals so far... withdrawal symptoms are setting in bad.