News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Multiplex Echo Machine

Started by bscur, March 20, 2016, 05:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscur

I wrapped up a Multiplex Echo Machine that I tried to do with a Boss pedal aesthetic. I'm learning how to use the GIMP software to make laser labels and then powder coat over them. The basic, old-school Boss pedals had a colorful, fun look and I went for that, including a mem-3 pedal name and Boss-ish font. The colors of the old pedals reminded me of the colored text of the old Atari 2600 cartridges- simple and bold. I wired it up with the modulation board set to be off, wired to delay 1 or wired to delay 2. The modulation is a bit too intense for me. I might look for a way to decrease the warble to something more subtle. Overall, using the pedal is fairly complex. It'll take some experimentation to dial it in because it acts differently in the three modes as well as having two delays. I'm used to a delay having just the delay time, repeat number and mix. The first plan was to fit it into a 1590BB, but it was too tight and I went with the 1790NS. It was my first time using such a big box and the extra space was great. The whole thing had to be painted and then stripped because I left it in the powder coating oven too long and the decal browned. Anyone have experience with this? It looks like about ten minutes is all the decal can take, but the clear powder calls for 15-20 min. Any advice would help. I also like to preheat the enclosure so the powder really takes to the box on the second coat, but the browning decals prevent this. 

I added a 1M pot and a 470k resistor to the modulation for flexibility. it's the first time I turned a resistor into a pot and I really like the results. The modulation is very lush when it is dialed way back.

galaxiex

Sorry, can't help with the browning decal/powder coat issue, but that is a really nice build!  8)

I love the Boss aesthetic on a non Boss type box. Cool color!
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

sjaustin

I'm pretty sure the strength of the modulation is set by one of the resistors. At least that's how it worked in the Multiplex Jr. I agree with you and changed that resistor to make it less intense. I want to say I ended up with a 1M resistor, but it's been quite a while. Socket and test.

darrenw6000

bcalla

wgc

Nice build!

As for powder paying over a decal, I've done it a few times.

Laser decals can take the heat better. Inkjet isn't a good idea but I think you know that.

Make sure your temp isn't too hot; too hot is most likely to make your decal scorch vs time.  Infrared thermometers aren't too much $$. Don't trust the dial.

You can break the cure time into two. You can also cure for longer at a lower temp.

Your preheat temp doesn't need to be cure temp. Anything over 200f will help adhesion, but a good clean ground is the most important.  Otherwise you're just spray painting.

And the last thing is that you can get faster lower temp clear at around 320f for 10-12 min.

Try some scraps and a few of the ideas above to see what works best with your setup.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings