News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GAS ATTACK- Who's the VOX aficionado? And Gretch too!

Started by blearyeyes, March 07, 2016, 03:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blearyeyes

Quote from: madbean on March 09, 2016, 01:03:27 AM
Quote from: blearyeyes on March 08, 2016, 06:25:58 PM
OK Brian, you just upped the stakes with the hand wired series.
Sheesh dude they are beautiful. You're killing me.
Did you buy it new?

It's an awful thing when your GAS surpasses your Cash.

I got the v.1 of the hand-wired. I bought it new for about $500 under retail. I think the newer version has a master volume and some other stuff.

by the power switch is a switch for 15W OR 7.5W
Then Master Volume and Tone Cut knobs with a bypass switch.
Bright channel has vol, treble, bass and hot / cool switch
Normal channel has Vol and a bright switch.

Timko

Quote from: gordo on March 09, 2016, 03:46:27 AM
I'd love to get a Rocket. I recapped and tubed one years ago and played it on the bench for hours. By the time the guy got it back the next day the tubes were well burned in :-)  Every amp should have an "accordion" input...

Just for you....

Timko

I finally took some pictures of my Gretsch last night.  Congrats on your purchase!  And welcome to the family :).

blearyeyes

That is the definitive Gretsch.  Very nice.

I'm a bit worried about not being able to adjust the harmonics with a Compton bridge.

Timko

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 09, 2016, 04:37:58 PM

I'm a bit worried about not being able to adjust the harmonics with a Compton bridge.

That's the pro/con of a solid bar bridge.  You can just match it up the best you can (sort of like the 3 saddle design of a tele).  The sustain increase is noticeable though.  Most vintage Gretsches had bar bridges.

Timko

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 09, 2016, 04:37:58 PM

If there are 2 colors that I think are those classic Gretsch colors: the walnut and the washed out orange.

gordo

That Gretsch looks superb.  I like the solid bridge.  That Rocket is PRISTINE!!!  Just gorgeous.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

blearyeyes

Unfortunately the only center block under $2500.00 I could find was either green or black. Drive me crazy trying to keep the black clean and the rosa red is special order and no free shipping. All three have the cats eye cutouts..I was just looking at yours and could switch my order to a walnut version that looks real Gretschy but no center block. Really frustrating. But hey there's always tomorrow.