News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Oscilloscope for scope noob on a budget

Started by Beedoola, February 22, 2016, 03:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

I'm realizing it would be handy to have an oscilloscope around for testing. I'm looking on craigslist and see a few for around $100. What should I be looking for in terms of specs and abilities for a scope? I'd be using it for things pedal, amp and synth based. Rarely with synths, but should a situation arise where I might need it, I'd like to have something capable of troubleshooting any gear I come across.

There are some EZ and Tektronix ones for $100-150. I'm sure I could talk them down a bit.

Thanks.

john_p_wi

For 100 bucks or so, you should be able to find a decent analog CRO (cathode ray (tube) oscilloscope).  Probably won't include probes - no biggy - Amazon has 1 - 10x probes for less than 20 dollars for 2.  If you are going to probe around tube amps get a set of 100x probes.  As the CRO scopes are older, just make sure that it is in working condition before buying it.  The scopes have a "test signal" on the front, most likely a 5v square wave for adjusting the probe compensation pot, just note that the square will look like a series of dashes on analog scopes.

As you are dealing with audio, almost anything made in the last 40 years will work (20 Mhz and above).  I love the older Tek scopes and my favorite is a 2230 analog scope (100 Mhz) with digital storage.  Bright and fast display with simplicity of use.  There should be a lot of 22XX series Teks' out there in great shape, ready for a second life.  I also have a Leader and Hitachi scope, the Tek is may favorite and is a proven and known brand.

Just remember that the ground clip on the probe is "earth ground".  For example, don't clip the ground clip to a power rail...

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

John

alanp

Also, if you're wanting to do measurements with it to get hard numbers (frequency, for example), bear in mind that it's a bit more annoying to do this with pure analog scopes.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

john_p_wi

Some scopes like this Leader have a channel out, it is very simple to connect a DMM to the scope and use it as a frequency meter.

Of course it may not work for high frequencies...

EBRAddict

Don't rule out eBay, I snagged a  used 100Mhz Tektronix for $170 shipped.

BillyBoy

If you qualify for student pricing, then this might get close to your price range:  http://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-100msps-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer/

I'm a scope noob myself, and infrequent user, but this one works pretty well for me.  Plus I didn't have to also buy a signal generator I was looking for at the time.  I run it on my laptop.

Bill Gerlt
Gerlt Technologies
Custom Rack Effects