News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

LT1054 charge pump doubler mode capacitor question

Started by ric426, February 16, 2016, 05:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ric426

I'm building up a Flabulanche and it calls for a 10uf cap on the LT1054 charge pump doubler output, like is shown in all the data sheets for the LT1054. I understand the need for low ESR caps, but how critical is that 10uf value? The last parts I was going to mount on the board are C15, C16 and C17 and I discovered that the 10uf caps I have are crap. I have some good 22uf tantalum caps and it looks like C16 & C17 are just filtering, so I would think bumping them up to 22uf wouldn't be a problem, but C15 is the output cap for the 1054. I've never worked with charge pump circuits, so I don't know if the value of that cap is critical or not.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to test the circuit tomorrow, but If I need to order caps it'll have to be delayed.
If it weren't for my wife, there'd be no adult supervision at my house.

kgull

Using a 22uF cap shouldn't be a problem as long as they are low ESR caps. Wouldn't go a whole lot higher though. Basically, the larger the capacitance, the lower the reactance and the more effect ESR has on the life of the cap.

Consider something like this, 2 caps that both have the same ESR and the same AC voltage across them, which one is going to get hotter (hotter = shorter life)? Well, Power=Voltage*Current^2 so the one with the higher average current flow will get hotter. That's going to be the one with the higher capacitance. The more you know and all that.