News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

'Punk Distortion' Pro Sk8er Build Request. Ideas?

Started by Mojo Fandangle, January 29, 2016, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo Fandangle

I've had a request to build a pedal for a professional 80's skateboarder that a friend of mine knows through his photography work.
I'm pretty excited about it because I was a keen skateboarder myself and a big fan of the guy when I was young.

He's asked for a 'punk distortion'.

I'm thinking of doing my first 2 in 1 build with a DIYGP Distortion+ and either an overdrive before it or Silicon Fuzz Face after it. (not so punk but might sound cool stacked with Distortion+ at lower gain settings, or just as a 2nd option because he also likes 70's music).

Or maybe a Distortion+ with an uncompressed sounding overdrive to drive it harder for leads or extra beef.

My first question:
How do I go about wiring twin pedals to be used separately or combined, or both?

Q2) Anybody got any cool 'punk distortion' ideas?

"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

Tremster

televisiondown

The Dist + and fuzz face is a good early punk combo. Definitely a RAT and maybe a DS-1 as well. The MI Audio Crunch Box is good for chuggy punk chords.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

Mojo Fandangle

@Tremster and TevisionDown:

Yeah the Rat and DS-1 were the 2 other pedals that came to mind.

I've got a "You Dirty Rat" that I bought for a punk distortion sound and I do love the filter knob.
It does help dial in the highs and mids that I associate with punk music and works well as an overdrive at lower settings.

The DS1 is the other one that comes to mind because I love the Nirvana sound which to me is more punk than grunge.
It sounds aggressive without the low end beef, but I'm not sure it's good as an overdrive at lower settings that might help drive the Fuzz Face.

My main idea is a 2 in 1 box with a 'punk distortion' first that could work on lower settings as an overdrive for a fuzz face placed after.

The Rat could be good because it works well as an overdrive sound at low gain settings.

I'm hoping the Distortion+ works similarly because I already have a pcb for it and I also have a Fuzz Face pcb stocked that might or might not work well with it.

Can anyone advise me of whether the Dist+ works well as an overdrive at low settings?

Also, can somebody help out with posting a 2 in 1 wiring diagram that allows separate led's for each effect?
"If you don't do it yourself, no-one else will do it yourself"

https://www.youtube.com/user/MarkDally

matmosphere

Sounds like a cool opportunity! I used to skate too.

The link tremster put up shows how to do the leds. You might consider doing one of the 3dpt breakout boards for the stomps. In a double build it'd keep things looking cleaner and make the leds really easy to deal with.

As for the circuit I definitely agree about the Rat. Have you considered doing a dirt and a boost as opposed to two dirts? Redundancy doesn't seem very punk rock ;)

The Harmonic Percolator also might be cool, depends on the players taste though. Some kind of Marshall in a box circuit world get that Johnny Ramone sound.