News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cupcake 1n34a substitute

Started by HailToTheBlues, May 18, 2015, 09:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailToTheBlues

Hi guys,
So a friend asked me to build him a compressor and i was going to make him a cupcake (orange squeezer) since i have a pcb for it lying around. I noticed it had a 1n34a in D1, and since this diodes are not particulary easy to get, is there a good substitute for it in this project? Or is it crucial to be used a 1n34a?

Also, do i need to match the two transistors, or can i use any 2n5457?

Best regards

micromegas

for the 1n34A you can use any germanium diode with 0.3 forward voltage aprox (there are a lot of russian diodes available).

About the matched transistors... I've heard  those help to get a good compression, but have never tried an orange squeezer so I don't really know.

midwayfair is the compressor master (among other things, all good) so I'm sure he has the right answer :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

TGP39

Try using a schotkey diode which will have a very similar forward voltage.  Other germanium diodes would work also I would guess.
Good luck.

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

TGP39

For anyone interested, Smallbear has the 1n100 germanium diodes that were in the original pedal....

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/germanium-diode-1n100-itt/

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

midwayfair

BAT41/43/etc, or just use a 1N60P (it's a 4c schottky diode). The diode is jus . Rectifier, there's nothing special about the original diode except that it has a lower forward voltage then the 1n34a, and it has no bearing on the audio quality, just on the amount of compression. You can a also use pretty much any germanium diode you can get your hands on, they're almost universally better than a 1n34.

HailToTheBlues

Ok then guys, thanks for the replies, really helpfull!

Best regards!