News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

rangemaster hum troubleshooting (second pedal build)

Started by bigdave, May 13, 2015, 03:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdave

Last week i finished a microamp clone and all went well. Today I finished soldering my circuit board for the updated version of the rangemaster here on madbean and all i get with the pedal engaged or not is a loud hum, like i'm holding the end of my cable in my bare hand. I get no guitar signal through whatsoever.

When i connect a wire from the sleeve of the output to pin 1 of my boost pot, i get a bypass signal and i get signal through the PCB and both the switch and pot are functional, but it sounds like horse patooty. I checked all resistor and capacitor values and they all check out except for R3, which is part of the voltage divider for the OC44 transistor. It reads at 33k instead of 470k. I will change this out, but it doesn't explain the constant hum without the added wire. The only difference between my board and the project i've linked to is that i changed the values for the input and output capacitance.

Any ideas? I'm new to troubleshooting so i don't really know where to begin.

Thanks so much,
BigDave

http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/Rangemaster/Rangemaster2014.pdf

TGP39

Hi BigDave and welcome to the community. Many of the experienced builders will scout the tech help thread because we genuinely want to help new builders whenever possible.  The only thing we need from you is certain information that will assist us in trouble shooting your build. Take a read through this post.....

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=902.0

I can tell you that the hum you are experiencing is usually associated with improper wiring/grounding issues, but for us to even have a shot at pinpointing your problem, we need at least some of the info outlined in the above link.  Pictures of the front back of your board and wiring are always helpful. Let's get your Rangemaster up and sounding great....

Steve.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.